Non resident landlord insurance

Hi all, 
I need some help please. I'm a UK citizen from Northern Ireland. I moved abroad for work 11 years ago and rented out my property in Belfast. For all this while I've had no problem getting landlord insurance whilst away. 
The issues started last year when my existing company all of a sudden declined renewal cover. Through lots of leg work I managed to find a broker in NI who then got me cover at a greatly increased premium. 
Now at my upcoming renewal, even that broker is saying the companies she has won't offer me a renewal. 

What is going on? Has anybody got any options that I can explore? 

Obviously I don't want to leave my asset uninsured. 



  • Hi there, did you ever have any luck with this?  I'm facing similar challenges, based in Belgium.  
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,202
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Have you looked at local insurers? The problem is that an insurer must have a license to sell insurance to someone where you are resident. Pre-Brexit the EU/UK had passporting rules meaning anyone in either could sell to anyone in either. Now those laws no longer apply to UK based companies and few have decided to setup licensed overseas branches. 
  • Jester60
    Jester60 Posts: 3
    First Post
    I am UK citizen living in EU. For my UK rented-out house I have used SJL insurance services. Google reveals some other uk companies who do expat landlord insurance.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards