Backdated pay rise and Housing Benefit

Currently receive some housing benefit and tax credits. Does anyone know how back pay affects housing benefit claims? I should imagine the back pay will mean we're not entitled to anything for this month but I'm trying to find out if the payment just stops for the month or if it will be classed as an overpayment which is then paid back weekly? My main concern is that it will stop the claim completely and trigger a move to universal credit which I really don't want to happen right before Christmas. I've tried to find info online but haven't come up with much. If anyone knows that would be great! Thank you 

Replies

• edited 23 November 2022 at 3:36PM
    sourpuss2021sourpuss2021 Forumite
    478 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 November 2022 at 3:36PM
    My understanding is that each period/month's extra back pay will be considered as having been earnt in the period/month in which it relates to.

So, if the back pay was so much that you would not have been eligible for any HB, in any of the periods it was earnt, then your claim will end.

But if you would still have been eligible for HB during each and any of them, with the backpay included in your earnings, then your claim will continue.

• MillieBBMillieBB Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    Thanks for the reply, it's the local government and schools pay rise so £1925 for the year, backdated to April '22. From what you've said am I right in thinking that they will apply the pay rise on each months claim from April onwards so I'll end up with an overpayment for the previous 8 months and then reduced payments going forward? That's reasuring, if so. 
  • edited 23 November 2022 at 4:07PM
    sourpuss2021sourpuss2021 Forumite
    478 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 November 2022 at 4:07PM
    Yes that's my understanding of how it will be seen.  They will consider it as extra income stretched out over the entire period it relates to.  They wouldn't consider it as having been earnt in just one month.

Though if it takes you over £16k in savings at the point you receive it, that would also end your claim.