Can't Do Anymore

Options
Does anyone feel like nothing is done for the typical middle class working family? I don't think we could cut back anymore - we have tried every gadget, buying blankets, hot water bottles and applying layers. The only time we put the heating on is when we are trying to dry our clothes. We bought an airfryer for our meals and we waste so little with making up soups and pastas which we can eat later on in the week to cut down on our food bill as that's also increased and are even going for the cheaper non branded items.  Me and my partner work hard but believe we should be given the help that many others get as well - why do we have to be on the breadline before we are heard and thought off. 

Please anymore tips and tricks to cut back on our bills would be helpful but does anyone else feel the same? 

Comments

• MovingForwards
    Options
    Here to help cut back outgoings, it's not just for people in debt:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/debt-free-wannabe

Here for food and other ideas:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/old-style-moneysaving

Here for reducing gas and electric:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/energy

Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Without knowing what you spend your money on it is difficult to give any suggestions.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Glib answer: stop spending money on gadgets.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 822 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This must be the third 'where's the help specifically for me?' post I've seen recently. It's getting a bit tiresome.

The help for every household was the £400 on your electricity bill, (unless you're in NI like me and still waiting to hear exactly when and how that will happen) and the energy price cap. 

To cut back on future bills to deal with mould/condensation problems - don't have a freezing cold home then fill it with hot damp air from drying clothes. Lots and lots of threads here about the best way to do it and the consequences if you don't. 

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/search?query=Drying clothes
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone feel like nothing is done for the typical middle class working family? I don't think we could cut back anymore - we have tried every gadget, buying blankets, hot water bottles and applying layers. The only time we put the heating on is when we are trying to dry our clothes. We bought an airfryer for our meals and we waste so little with making up soups and pastas which we can eat later on in the week to cut down on our food bill as that's also increased and are even going for the cheaper non branded items.  Me and my partner work hard but believe we should be given the help that many others get as well - why do we have to be on the breadline before we are heard and thought off. 

Please anymore tips and tricks to cut back on our bills would be helpful but does anyone else feel the same? 
    Middle class or middle income?
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Yup!  I know exactly how you feel.  It seems for most of my life there's been something for the rich and something for the poor and nothing for us inbetweeners.  When we were living in a university town with a lot of very very well off students there were student discounts everywhere.  None of which we could use.  

The only thing that has finally kicked in for us is senior discounts but that of course means we have to spend money to save a small amount so is only good if we were going to buy whatever anyways.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    It is only reasonable to expect net taxpayers to support you if you are unable to do so yourself. You are not incapable of looking after yourself but rather wish for net taxpayers to give you a higher standard of living, that is unreasonable.
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello OP
    I hear you nd our children have mentioned that about some of the people they work with who are relatively young and fearing massive mortgage rises on top of everything else.

Without more info I can't really say unless you give us  an idea re your incomes/mortgage/bills/shopping bills/care leases/etc/etc/etc.

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you the squeezed middle class, or the squeezed middle income group?

Most traditional middle class families will be coping OK, but for people on just average incomes it can be difficult. However you say you are both working?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback