Change of nation. Student loan.

I wonder if anyone is able to answer this query.

My step daughter is resident in England and her father and I live in Wales. She is at university, in her second year. Her step dad has refused to include his details on her loan application meaning she has only received the bare minimum despite her mum being on a low income and unable to support her financially.  We do help her out financially, but not calculated according to expected contribution.

Does anyone know if it would be possible for her to make her next year's application with her father's address as her main residence?

Would she have to provide evidence that our home is her main residence? E.g. would she have to change her address with her bank, driving licence etc? Or is the fact that it's her dad's house enough?

Would the change in home nation (i.e. from england to wales) cause any potential issues?

Any advice gratefully received!


  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    you'd also have to apply via student finance Wales, and from memory they'd expect to see your daughter on the electoral register and have other documentation at the Welsh address
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards