Caring for mum after surgery creative storage solutions

Hi,

My lovely mum is having heart surgery soon and will be moving in with me not sure at this point if it will be permanently but a good chance. I've given her my large bedroom. We have a very comfy wall bed downstairs in living room but my biggest problem is clothes storage. I could put a chest of draws in our dining room? Or in my garage there is a uvpc door and window so it's pretty dry in there could I put a wardrobe in the garage do you think? Any other suggestions would be great please.

Comments

• I've had a wardrobe in an unheated but dry utility room before and while the clothes didn't get or mouldy they always felt a bit damp, which was perhaps just being cold. How about a canvas wardrobe somewhere? Cheap to buy, easy to put together and no trouble to stack away if you don't need it in future.  I got one for about £50 from Argos - it's just a hanging rail and a bottom shelf but there are options with shelves to one side.
  • There's also Ikea Kallax and the baskets you can get for that - it's a decent option if you're folding clothes and easy to resell on Facebook Marketplace etc if your mum does move home, or repurpose for another room rather than being a permanent wardrobe, plus it's not as deep as a wardrobe so more economical on space. I got the £3 baskets for mine, they come in different colours. If you have things to hang and an understairs cupboard you can get sturdy hooks and hang things there. On another note if your mum's going to be immobile for a bit a soft jersey buff/headband/cap like a beanie is a great for avoiding matts and tangles in hair and hides that hair hasn't been washed for a while. You can get them on eBay in different colours for a few quid. 
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • Would under bed storage be an option?

I definitely wouldn't put a wardrobe in a garage.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback