Anyone use 'Freda' ePUB reader app?

Options
I downloaded a sample set of ePUB pages, in order to see if it was worth buying the full ebook.

I downloaded Freda from the Microsoft app store and when I open the sample set, the lines of text and images are all over the place. Many lines overlap each other, images that should be on one page are on another and the pages shown seem to take up only the left hand side of my screen.

I've had a quick play with settings but nothing I do seems to help. Also, it is very slow to do things with this app.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Try calibre its  free https://calibre-ebook.com/download
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Calibre is very good, but is aimed at managing your collection of ebooks, converting them from format to format and putting them on an ebook reader.

Sumatra PDF reader reads epubs and is much smaller (also it doesnt insist on downloading a 600MB update virtually every time you use it.)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys. I've actually gone for Calibre.

I downloaded it and it allows me to view the epub file just fine and allows converting also, as you said facade.

I think I'll leave it at that.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JohnB47 said:

I downloaded it and it allows me to view the epub file just fine and allows converting also, as you said facade.

If you right click on a page when you are reading a book, a menu pops up and you can select "read aloud" for a very annoying computer generated voice that puts intonation in all the wrong places.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    facade said:
    JohnB47 said:

If you right click on a page when you are reading a book, a menu pops up and you can select "read aloud" for a very annoying computer generated voice that puts intonation in all the wrong places.
    Thanks, I'll try that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure