First Direct strict no more than 1 incentive rule, or so I thought

Options
I opened a First Direct account back in August, as I was going to switch all my main banking to them although changed my mind but kept the account open. I was fully aware that as a previous First Direct customer and also having opened a HSBC account after the date specified, I wouldn’t qualify for the switching incentive.

I also saw they were offering £20 if you just opened account without switching, again with the same conditions as above. And was not expecting to receive this. However to my surprise, I have received the £20 today despite not being eligible for it. 

Throughout the last few months the app kept on reminding me about completing the switch to receive the £175 incentive but said terms apply. I didn’t do it as I thought First Direct were quite persistent with their switching terms. Wish I had now as I probably would have got it. 

Shows it’s worth a try doing a First Direct switch for the incentive even if you’ve done it before! 

Comments

• Farfetch1
    Options
    mab3000 said:
    I opened a First Direct account back in August, as I was going to switch all my main banking to them although changed my mind but kept the account open. I was fully aware that as a previous First Direct customer and also having opened a HSBC account after the date specified, I wouldn’t qualify for the switching incentive.

I also saw they were offering £20 if you just opened account without switching, again with the same conditions as above. And was not expecting to receive this. However to my surprise, I have received the £20 today despite not being eligible for it. 

Throughout the last few months the app kept on reminding me about completing the switch to receive the £175 incentive but said terms apply. I didn’t do it as I thought First Direct were quite persistent with their switching terms. Wish I had now as I probably would have got it. 

Shows it’s worth a try doing a First Direct switch for the incentive even if you’ve done it before! 
    How does your experience of not receiving a second incentive show it's worth a try, when you didn't try and didn't receive an incentive?
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,504 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 19 November 2022 at 3:05AM
    Options
    Farfetch1 said:
    mab3000 said:

How does your experience of not receiving a second incentive show it's worth a try, when you didn't try and didn't receive an incentive?
    They did receive an incentive, the lower £20 for opening one.

The restriction wording is the same for both offers - "New customers to first direct only, who have not previously held a first direct product.", so presumably the OP probably would have received the full switching bonus if they went for it.

I suspect what happened is First Direct failed to match their profile. This happens with many lenders - I've had it with Amex when I opened a new account not long after moving house.

It's not something I would advise anyone tries to force as it'd result in being flagged on National Hunter.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AFAIK you don't get an incentive if you've ever had a FD account - not whether you've ever had an incentive.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,504 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    soulsaver said:
    AFAIK you don't get an incentive if you've ever had a FD account - not whether you've ever had an incentive.
    If you've had an incentive then you will have had an account.

You're totally right though, and it's any FD product. There was an example a few years ago of somebody who couldn't get the incentive because they were named on a joint FD mortgage many years before.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 November 2022 at 9:34AM
    Options
    I received £20 just for opening the account despite having received a switch incentive in the past and having an HSBC account.

I don't think receiving the £20 had the same terms as receiving a switch incentive. 
  • mab3000
    mab3000 Posts: 513 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    phillw said:
    I received £20 just for opening the account despite having received a switch incentive in the past and having an HSBC account.

I don't think receiving the £20 had the same terms as receiving a switch incentive. 
    I did think that but I found on their website the terms for the £20 offer as below;

**£20 to open an account

This offer is limited to one payment only, regardless if your account is a sole or joint account so we won’t make any additional payment for any joint account holder. You'll get the money within four months of opening the account. This offer can’t be added to any other joiner or switcher offer. New customers to first direct only, who have not previously held a first direct product. Sorry, we also can’t offer this to people who have opened an HSBC current account on or after 1 January 2019.

• t1redmonkey
    t1redmonkey Posts: 788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wanted to post to say I got a £20 incentive today, pretty much same circumstances as OP...I was not expecting anything since I had opened a HSBC account since 2020 which is supposed to exclude you from any further incentives.  Also it was bittersweet really because I'm now thinking I could've tried switching an account and looks like I would've got the larger switch incentive!  Still I guess £20 is better than nothing.
  • Tantalus86
    Options
    there's a few banks where I've managed to get the switching incentives where I shouldn't be eligible, first direct included. If you have a few spare donor accounts lying around and the conditions aren't too strenous it's worth a punt trying to get the incentives.
  • dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi @Tantalus86 ...
    there's a few banks where I've managed to get the switching incentives where I shouldn't be eligible, first direct included. If you have a few spare donor accounts lying around and the conditions aren't too strenous it's worth a punt trying to get the incentives.
    ... good to know ... and I think it's highly unlikely they would try to recover an incentive at a later date, even if they did find out. After all whose mistake is it? ... you're a customer, you're entitled to misunderstand ... they're the rule makers.
  • retiringtoosoon
    Options
    Same, both my wife and i received random £20s this week unexpectedly
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family