Can anyone help me enable WiFi on a PC?

Options
I have an HP 285 G3 desktop pc. It's pretty good but it doesn't seem to have WiFi and I want to turn it into a WiFi hotspot. I think I need to order a separate WiFi card, I'm not great with tech though can anyone point me to exactly what I need to get?

Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    look on ebay or amazon for a usb wifi dongle and plug it into a spare usb port.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,
    maybe a wee dongle would help, THIS,
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Log on to HP help centre might be a good idea
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's page upon page of spec sheets and other advice at HP's website. 

It looks as though it has more than one PCI slot on the motherboard, so on the face of it, you need a WiFi card that fits one of the PCI slots. Widely available. 

Look on YouTube for instruction videos. Search with the name of your base unit, possibly also with "microtower" as that seems to be HP's descriptor for it.
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 19 November 2022 at 2:33PM
    Options
    Sorry, I don't see why you want to make a pc a wifi hotspot.  Where is the Internet coming from? If you have Internet through a landline router then that will almost certainly be able to provide wifi to mobile devices as well.  If you don't you will need to use mobile Internet.  I have a dongle as a backup and a USB charger plug.  I don't see why you would want to leave the desktop on as a hotspot wasting energy.

If you mean you want to be able to connect your desktop pc to the Internet without a cable connection then you will need, an internal wireless adaptor or a USB wireless adapter. Either of those will connect to a landline router transmitting a wifi signal, an internal one will give you higher spec for the price.
    A 4g usb dongle will generate a wifi signal from a mobile phone sim (at your package rates) which other devices could connect to but if your pc doesn't have wireless connectivity it won't give you Internet on your desktop unless I am mistaken.  The Internet doesn't travel through the USB plug on a mobile dongle.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 November 2022 at 12:16PM
    Options
    I would bet you now feel a bit confused unless you are a bit tech savvie.....
    Could be a bit more info is required or just more clarity regarding your aim for posters.

Perhaps it would be better explaining what you want to achieve in simple terms such as ' connect the PC to my router' or '.... to the printer using wifi' or 'connect my PC to a smart device that uses wifi' (and naming devices' ) rather than turning your PC into a wifi hotspot which does seem a little odd (unless you have a specific reason to do so and perhaps you could explain why!).

Your question is:
    Headline 'enable wifi on PC'
    Text 'turn into hotspot'
    Those are two different but associated things so a simple description might be clearer.....but could also be correct but having a PC connected by wifi (enable) might not be best and setting PC as a hotspot is generally not common.

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you look at the product specification, the machine supports an optional Wireless card, which is an internal PCIe card to fit one of the large vertical slots at the back.

A USB dongle is a simpler off-the-shelf method and that PC has USB 3.1 ports, so it should be up to the job.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback