IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Sainsburys EuroCar incorrect PCN issued

Options
Hi,

I have just received a PCN from Euro Car Parks who manage my local Sainsburys, They claim I entered at 8,19am and left at 13:51pm, which is impossible.

I go there every morning on the way to school with my son, we park at around 8.20am, pop into Sainsburys and then are at school by 8.45am, so are only there 15mins max.

On this day I believe I went back later to get shopping. So two trips to Sainsburys on the same day.

Knowing how some of these companies work I wasn't sure if should contact them to explain this or do something else. I know they have messed up but how do I prove they have?

Thank you

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,144 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    complain to Sainsburys about it.
    ask PCN for proof.
    check you have 2 receipts for the day.  might just be on your credit card or might be something off Nectar.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 18 November 2022 at 1:37PM
    Options
    This is known as a double dip. a known flaw of ANPR.

Do you have a dash-cam?  If not, do you have a Ring Doorbell showing you & the car were home in between, or do you have Google location history enabled on your phone?

All of the above would kill this off.  Or receipts from anywhere you went in between - petrol station?

Do not use the template appeal in this case.

Tell it like it is, with any evidence (not mandatory though) and demand ECP take a closer look at the ANPR images snd find the 'orphan image(s)' in between the first-in-last-out ones.

And CERTAINLY complain to Sainsburys manager. Tell them it means you can't visit twice in 24 hours (do they want shoppers put off shopping?) and did they realise this is not a one-off mistake, it is how ANPR systems like this are deliberately set up to work?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Michela
    Michela Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for your help.  I don't have a dash cam or a ring door bell so will need to look through my bank statements. Although I wasn't sure that proves my car was there with me.

I go the carpark and then leave taking my son to school, then normally go straight home and then go back shopping or collect him.

Its the same routine every single day. 

Should complain directly to the manager of that branch? Not the main complaints ?

• Coupon-mad
    Options
    Either will be good for your complaint.
  • Michela
    Michela Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went in and spoke to the manager, so not in writing but they took a copy of the PCN and will contact Euro.  I had the impression I was not the first to have this problem.

Anyway I will pop back in on Monday to see if they have an update.

In the meantime I will go through my statements incase this is not the end of it.

It's pretty outrageous as mostly elderly people use the carpark at those times and many would just pay it. Ridiculous you can't go twice but I hope it's just a blip as its never happened before.

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Michela said:
    It's pretty outrageous as mostly elderly people use the carpark at those times and many would just pay it. Ridiculous you can't go twice but I hope it's just a blip as its never happened before.
    Yes of course it is outrageous.

These poor parking companies are now facing the introduction of new legislation which will severely restrict their money making schemes.

If they weren't before, they are now looking at every opportunity to fleece the motorist while they can.

Making hay while the sun shines.

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,292 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 November 2022 at 3:51PM
    Options
    I suggest you also complain to the CEO who is responsible for the actions of sub-contractors employed by Sainsbugs, and your MP.
    The UK government doesn't permit the use of ANPR scameras in council car parks, but the parking industry is unregulated and does what it likes. Nothing will change until the government does something about it. The government won't do anything about unless people complain.

Local and even national press/media might be interested about this repetitive scam using ANPR systems that are not fit for purpose.

I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 18 November 2022 at 4:01PM
    Options
    I hope it's just a blip as its never happened before.

As I said, this is not a blip, it is a thing called a 'double dip'. It IS the way ANPR 'works' and the BPA know it:

https://www.britishparking.co.uk/ANPR

"As with all new technology, there are issues associated with its use:

a)    Repeat users of a car park inside a 24 hour period sometimes find that their first entry is paired with their last exit, resulting in an ‘overstay’. Operators are becoming aware of this and should now be checking all ANPR transactions to ensure that this does not occur."

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5550336/double-dip-parking-list-of-cases/p1

http://notomob.co.uk/discussions/index.php?topic=5768,0

This will happen to you again.  This is UNACCEPTABLE even if the PCN is cancelled.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback