We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cost of living payment not given if your electric meter is a secondary meter.

Options
2»

Comments

• pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 November 2022 at 9:27AM
    Options
    As we suspected this is not an energy supplier, they are just handling the submeters for your landlord.

With this scenario it is extremely unlikely that the landlord is on a domestic tariff.

• Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If I were you I would lobby your MP (hopefully you aren't south Suffolk and having to converse down under)

Stress the issue and ask them which department within the government they can support you with getting £400.

It can't help to put a bit of pressure on.
  • Ja_Mez
    Options
    I knew nothing of secondary meters until today which has now led to another question; as the company that own the meter are simply money collectors for the landlord and not energy suppliers, do they have the legal authority to cut off your supply if you dont pay?

The whole reason I moved to auto payments is because i forgot to top up once and the electric ran out. I had £5 emergency but forgot I was using it and that ran out too. I came back from work late at night to no electric and no way to top up because everything is on my pc and I had no power to run it. Had to wait till morning and go round my brother's with my pc and plug it in there. Lesson learned!
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ja_Mez said:
    I knew nothing of secondary meters until today which has now led to another question; as the company that own the meter are simply money collectors for the landlord and not energy suppliers, do they have the legal authority to cut off your supply if you dont pay?
    i think yes. they are administering the supply and payments on behalf of the landlord. that doesn't give you any extra rights than someone on a pre payment meter directly with a supplier. if you are pay and go then if you dont pay then you dont go. 
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    Ja_Mez said:
    Yes, they do.
    Ja_Mez said:
    The whole reason I moved to auto payments is because i forgot to top up once and the electric ran out. I had £5 emergency but forgot I was using it and that ran out too. I came back from work late at night to no electric and no way to top up because everything is on my pc and I had no power to run it. Had to wait till morning and go round my brother's with my pc and plug it in there. Lesson learned!
    I would advise that you have all details not reliant on one PC, it might die, get malware on it etc. Make sure you have the information in multiple independent locations, ideally on your phone as well. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback