Crazy Nvidia GPU costs

Options
Hello,

It's crazy that we are getting almost 50% more performance for the RTX 4080 than the two-year-old RTX 3080 and yet it's almost a 75% price increase regards the launch price. If you are aware or not with the latest gear.

At the moment I'm on GTX 1660TI that's with 6GB Vram and I'm going to be upgrading to a new card, I have been waiting for the RTX 4000 series to release however the cost is what put me off right now.   

Yes, I can go with RTX 3080 or RTX 3090 however they are less on the marketplace regards new stock and what we have left are going out like birds to the point that now Nvidia has all their third-party companies like MSI and Asus going for £6000 on their store page as they only have one or two left and once gone no more. 

Amazing you aren't better off, since RTX 3000 is now old tech and still high money costing. I'm looking at the 4000 series as it's new tech and end of the day when it comes to PC hardware I want the new tech and be able to future-proof it for at least five years, the RTX 3080 is good, can't poop about that but it's already two or three years old and I really need more than 10GB Vram nowadays.

Crazy that I have been saving and got around £900 and now the new cards are like £1200 - damn people. It's like you were paying price for performance is no longer that factor. 

Comments

• flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    When cryptocurrency mining grinds to a halt because the stuff they make is worth !!!!!!-all, won't the market be saturated with slightly foxed GPUs? 
  • EmpireKicking
    Options
    It's all over the place at the moment, end of the day I want to get what I want for the best or good deal. 
  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm not sure that you'd really want a 4000 series at the moment anyway.
  • EmpireKicking
    Options
    that's with 4090 that they have resolved and it's with their cable I be using another cable from Corsair that supports 600w
  • booneruk
    Options
    that's with 4090 that they have resolved and it's with their cable I be using another cable from Corsair that supports 600w
    Where did you see that it's resolved? as far as I understand it there's still no official line and a scramble within the youtube techsphere to recreate the issue.

As for new graphics cards, there's better value/similar performance from existing Radeons and those just around the corner
  • EmpireKicking
    Options
    At this point in time, I might as well consider the 3090TI when they go down in price. I mean the 4080 is SOOoo damn bigger then the 3080
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    The 4000 series cards, or at least the 4090 and 4080 are great products, but they are overpriced, the 4090 can get away with it as a halo product, but the 4080 does not justify the price point vs either the 4090 or the 3080/3080Ti/3090/3090Ti. nVidia's tech is great, the hardware as well as DLSS and their drivers are almost always better than AMD's early in a game's release, but I think that they have shot themselves in the foot with the 4000 series pricing and that seems to be the perception in all, or almost all of the reviews.

I have a 3080, it is a great card, it does all I want from a card at the moment, I was thinking of going for a 4080 but the price does no in any way justify it, I think I will probably end up sitting out the 4000 series unless there is a significant price drop and either they correct their pricing with the 5000 series, I move to AMD (or potentially Intel) or I end up being a purely console gamer. 
  • booneruk
    Options
    The 4000 series cards, or at least the 4090 and 4080 are great products, but they are overpriced
    Pricing has gone crazy, it's absolutely nuts but they're still flying off the shelves. It's an expensive time to be a high end PC gamer.

I'm so happy I managed to bag a 3080 founders edition at RRP (thanks telegram stock alerts!) and then put a waterblock on it. It's fast enough and will last me until the next gen. 

I think there will be price/perf winners only in the previous generation or within AMDs new range. 
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    booneruk said:
    The 4000 series cards, or at least the 4090 and 4080 are great products, but they are overpriced
    Pricing has gone crazy, it's absolutely nuts but they're still flying off the shelves. It's an expensive time to be a high end PC gamer.
    The 4090 is a halo product, the people that are chasing that are never going to be restricted by price, but the 4080 is so overpriced, they appear to be selling, but the sold out situation seems to be more a case of restricting supply rather than excessive demand. One can currently pick up a 3080 for less than half the price of a 4080 and there is not enough of a performance differential to justify that markup. The 4080 even offers worse performance per £/$ than the 4090 which is awful, performance per £/$ is supposed to increase down the range, not decrease. As a product the 4080 does not justify it's existence, pretty much all the reviews have said the same.
    booneruk said:
    I'm so happy I managed to bag a 3080 founders edition at RRP (thanks telegram stock alerts!) and then put a waterblock on it. It's fast enough and will last me until the next gen. 
    I have a 3080 FE and haven't bothered modding it, I haven't need to and I think it is a great card. I managed to get it for RRP as well. I was thinking about the 4080 but it just does not make sense, to the point that if I did want to upgrade I would probably go for the 4090 as the 4080 makes so little sense, but I will likely skip a generation, which is something I have not done in a decade.
    booneruk said:
    I think there will be price/perf winners only in the previous generation or within AMDs new range. 
    We have to wait until December to see the actual performance of RDNA3, but I suspect on a price/performance basis their top end cards are going to destroy the 4080 and even potentially the 4070/Ti, it is looking from the provisional data that AMD will offer performance roughly equivalent to the 4080 and 4070Ti (or whatever the unreleased 4080 downgrade ends up being called) but for £400-600 less per card. I know that DLSS is worth paying a bit of a premium for, but I do not think it is worth anything like what NVidia are trying do charge. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback