Help please with transferring a Apache Open Office 4 spreadsheet to Libre Office Calc?

Options
I'm in the process of transferring all my spreadsheet files on Apache Open Office 4 to Libre Office Calc.
The vast majority transfer ok, but a remainder do not.
I am transferring by going to the Apache S/S, right clicking on the icon and clicking on to 'open with' and clicking on Libre Office Calc.
As I said the vast majority is no problem and open and allow me to save to Libre, I then delete the Apache s/s.

Can any one help please? 
I've tried to sort it by googling an answer but I'm getting no where.
Perhaps as you can tell I am not a PC user expert, I get by in the main but I'm stuck with this!

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why are you deleting the old files and creating new ones?  You don't need to do that, they should just open straight away - Libre Office and Openoffice are pretty much the same thing (the latter is based on the former).
  • TUVOK
    TUVOK Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mainly as a result of advice kindly given by members on this site, in that Libre was far better in many respects than Apache.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes but the whole point of Openoffice was that it was just that - open.  Libre Office and friends are just variations/forks on it, so the files are all interchangeable whichever version you use.  You don't need to create new files just because you're changing the software, that's like changing the engine in the car every time you fill up with petrol.
  • TUVOK
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    I manage to get by with Pc's, but I'm no expert at all.
    The only thing that I can say is that I find using Libre a lot easier than Apache, always seemed to be having a few gliches with Apache.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What are the symptoms of the ones that "don't transfer OK"? 

Some kind of error message? Corrupted data within the sheet? They fail to open in Libre? Fail to save once opened?  

Need more info
  • TUVOK
    Options
    I'm right clicking on the file icon and selecting open with Libre Office Calc
    The problem files then go to a box called 'Text Import'
    The box is composed of 'Character set', 'Locale', 'From Row' 'Seperarator options', 'Other options' and 'Field'
    They all appear to be held in a 'Microsoft Excel 97-2003 worksheet'

It's annoying as it is only a small amount that exhibit this glitch in being able to be transferred to Libre.
  • Billxx
    Billxx Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What is the file extension of the files you are having a problem with?

Kind Regards,

Bill
  • TUVOK
    Options
    Would it be .xls
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income