We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I (re)write my will myself?

Options
I have a professionally written will leaving all to 3 sons equally. One son is now subject to an IVA - £300k! I do not wish my assets to possibly go towards this. To save expense, if I typed out a new will EXACTLY as the old, naming just 2 sons, got it correctly witnessed, would this be valid?

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 11,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    castle96 said:
    I have a professionally written will leaving all to 3 sons equally. One son is now subject to an IVA - £300k! I do not wish my assets to possibly go towards this. To save expense, if I typed out a new will EXACTLY as the old, naming just 2 sons, got it correctly witnessed, would this be valid?
    Yes, but it might not achieve exactly what you want. I can understand the temptation to save expense now, but there really is no substitute for qualified professional help, preferably from a solicitor, to ensure that your will actually does what you want it to do - and do you really want to ensure that your third son gets nothing if you die tomorrow?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 November 2022 at 1:36PM
    Options
    castle96 said:
    Of course.  A will doesn't have to be done by a professional - although the advice a solicitor can give you can prevent problems in the future.
    As you've already had that advice and it's a simple removal of one name, I would do it.
    I would get someone else to proof-read it for you to double-check it.
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would 'like' him to have his 1/3 but not if it has to go to creditors. I would get another will done after his 5/6 yrs of IVA is up (if I am still here). Why do you think it "might not achieve what I wanted"
  • shiraz99
    shiraz99 Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    castle96 said:
    I would 'like' him to have his 1/3 but not if it has to go to creditors. I would get another will done after his 5/6 yrs of IVA is up (if I am still here). Why do you think it "might not achieve what I wanted"
    Have you discussed this with your son(s).
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 11,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    castle96 said:
    Because what you plan to do ensures he doesn't get anything if the will you intend to make is current when you die.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,196 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    @castle96  Is the son on any way financially dependent on you ?    If so I believe he could challenge the new will.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Robin9 said:
    @castle96  Is the son on any way financially dependent on you ?    If so I believe he could challenge the new will.
    Incredible. "dependent" as in having a disability and not being able to look after self or any circumstances? Thanks in advance if you are able or not to reply to this question.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,184 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    castle96 said:

As long as you're not resident in Scotland where you can't disinherit your children from equal shares in your moveable estate. If you are in Scotland then search the internet for 'legal rights'.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Robin9 said:
    "dependent" as in having a disability and not being able to look after self or any circumstances?
    No, just having regular financial contributions from you for living expenses.

• Keep_pedalling
    Options
    So what happens if you die having failed to make another will after his IVA is finished? he will be disinherited. 

On another thread you said your estate is £1M+ so why on earth would you not do this with a professional who would almost certainly come up with a better solution. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback