Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Can I (re)write my will myself?

I have a professionally written will leaving all to 3 sons equally. One son is now subject to an IVA - £300k! I do not wish my assets to possibly go towards this. To save expense, if I typed out a new will EXACTLY as the old, naming just 2 sons, got it correctly witnessed, would this be valid?

Replies

• MarconMarcon Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    castle96 said:
    I have a professionally written will leaving all to 3 sons equally. One son is now subject to an IVA - £300k! I do not wish my assets to possibly go towards this. To save expense, if I typed out a new will EXACTLY as the old, naming just 2 sons, got it correctly witnessed, would this be valid?
    Yes, but it might not achieve exactly what you want. I can understand the temptation to save expense now, but there really is no substitute for qualified professional help, preferably from a solicitor, to ensure that your will actually does what you want it to do - and do you really want to ensure that your third son gets nothing if you die tomorrow?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • edited 16 November at 12:36PM
    MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    35.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 16 November at 12:36PM
    castle96 said:
    Of course.  A will doesn't have to be done by a professional - although the advice a solicitor can give you can prevent problems in the future.
    As you've already had that advice and it's a simple removal of one name, I would do it.
    I would get someone else to proof-read it for you to double-check it.
  • castle96castle96 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    I would 'like' him to have his 1/3 but not if it has to go to creditors. I would get another will done after his 5/6 yrs of IVA is up (if I am still here). Why do you think it "might not achieve what I wanted"
  • shiraz99shiraz99 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    castle96 said:
    I would 'like' him to have his 1/3 but not if it has to go to creditors. I would get another will done after his 5/6 yrs of IVA is up (if I am still here). Why do you think it "might not achieve what I wanted"
    Have you discussed this with your son(s).
  • MarconMarcon Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    castle96 said:
    Because what you plan to do ensures he doesn't get anything if the will you intend to make is current when you die.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Forumite
    @castle96  Is the son on any way financially dependent on you ?    If so I believe he could challenge the new will.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • diystarter7diystarter7 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Robin9 said:
    @castle96  Is the son on any way financially dependent on you ?    If so I believe he could challenge the new will.
    Incredible. "dependent" as in having a disability and not being able to look after self or any circumstances? Thanks in advance if you are able or not to reply to this question.
     Before you spend, remember the MSE Money Mantras. Ask yourself, do I need it? Can I afford it? If the answer is no to any of those questions, DON’T buy it.  (Quote from MSE  15/11/22)

Politeness & courtesy are one of the few things in life that are free. Please remember that when posting/etc otherwise I may ignore the unpolite and unconstructive comments. Many thanks.
  • GersGers Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    castle96 said:

As long as you're not resident in Scotland where you can't disinherit your children from equal shares in your moveable estate. If you are in Scotland then search the internet for 'legal rights'.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    35.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Robin9 said:
    "dependent" as in having a disability and not being able to look after self or any circumstances?
    No, just having regular financial contributions from you for living expenses.

• Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    12.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    So what happens if you die having failed to make another will after his IVA is finished? he will be disinherited. 

On another thread you said your estate is £1M+ so why on earth would you not do this with a professional who would almost certainly come up with a better solution.