Praise for John Lewis

Hello, I just need to praise JL's delivery and installation service. Our old dishwasher gave up the ghost the week before last and so we went online to do a lot of research to find a replacement. It turned out that JL, although not quite the cheapest, seemed to be the best deal for us. On Tuesday they delivered and installed our new dishwasher in record time and tested that it was working satisfactorily before they left. They were fast, efficient, friendly and helpful. They took away all the packaging and our old machine. JL does not charge delivery, as we discovered that Currys and Argos (surprisingly) do. No matter that we were spending almost £300. (Machines are not too expensive, all the 'extras' are.) 

Purchasing from JL wasn't more expensive than any of the other cheaper appliances suppliers because the others add on charges for every single thing so the end price is not much cheaper. We were surprised. And very impressed with JL's employees, their attitude and efficiency throughout.

While they were there I asked if they would help me to remove the plug for my kettle, since I wanted to move it out of the way and had been having great difficulty removing it from the socket. When one of them managed to free it, he said that the rubber bits on the prongs had melted(!) and that I shouldn't try to use it again. (Of course I had no intention.) He also used his socket tester to ensure that the socket was safe to use. It was. We had to order a new kettle - from amazon though, this time. 

I really can't praise JL highly enough.

But - we're having the same procedure next week with a fridge/freezer (doesn't everything always break at once?) So I may be back to vent rather than praise next weekend - but sincerely hope that isn't the case. 

I do realise that my experience may not be the same as anybody else's but I'm praising solely based on my own positive experience.     :)
Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.

Comments

• Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 November 2022 at 11:52AM
    MalMonroe said:

He also used his socket tester to ensure that the socket was safe to use. It was. We had to order a new kettle - from amazon though, this time. 

A socket tester does not necessarily ensure that the socket is safe to use, it merely indicates that there is no polarity wiring error and that live, neutral and earth are all connected correctly.

The plug and/or socket has clearly overheated at some stage and that needs to be checked by an electrician or competent person.

A socket tester draws a tiny amount of current. If there is a fault in that socket a heavy load such as a kettle may cause it to overheat again and possibly catch fire.

It is quite possible that the socket is fine but please get it checked.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • Ath_Wat
    Ath_Wat Posts: 1,504 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Belenus said:
    MalMonroe said:

He also used his socket tester to ensure that the socket was safe to use. It was. We had to order a new kettle - from amazon though, this time. 

A socket tester does not necessarily ensure that the socket is safe to use, it merely indicates that there is no polarity wiring error and that live, neutral and earth are all connected correctly.

The plug and/or socket has clearly overheated at some stage and that needs to be checked by an electrician or competent person.

A socket tester draws a tiny amount of current. If there is a fault in that socket a heavy load such as a kettle may cause it to overheat again and possibly catch fire.

It is quite possible that the socket is fine but please get it checked.
    Unfortunately for the OP they are adamant that they never read replies to their posts (it used to be in their signature) so your advice may go unheeded.
  • Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 November 2022 at 12:35PM
    I have sent the OP a message in case he/she does not read my reply.

I am not scaremongering. Electrics can be dangerous.

The OP needs to get that socket properly checked. It may well be fine. If it is faulty it is easy and not very expensive to replace.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,357 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    given how you cant praise JL enough it is surprising you then didnt purchase the kettle from them, I assume you have prurchased the fridge/freezer from them
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback