M&S Christmas Advert

Davesquire
Davesquire Posts: 19
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 11 November 2022 at 2:15PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Am I alone in considering the M&S Christmas/Xmas (depending upon your view)  incredibly crass and insulting to a significant proportion of the population who are struggling financially at this point in the year. There is significant hardship being experienced by many families, so to be exposed to the excesses of high end retail is staggeringly insensitive.
Let alone the fact it is only November (yes, I concede that it is better than many previous years - I recall September, one year). BUT. It is not Christmas until the great man himself - Noddy - says so.
I just found the ad to be so insensitive, especially following just contributing more cash to the Trussell Trust, who do an 
incredible job, but should really not be required in a first world nation in the 21st Century.
Am I being a miserable party-pooper? Or should we really be seeing a change of heart from large retailers this year?
Please to be discriminated against by financial institutions. Thank-you for taking advantage of my Dyspraxia.:)

Comments

• I just found the ad to be so insensitive, especially following just contributing more cash to the Trussell Trust, who do an incredible job, but should really not be required in a first world nation in the 21st Century.
    Which first world nation are M&S showing their Christmas advert in 😉
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,486
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Better posted on the Praise, Vent & Warnings board.
  • Pollycat said:
    Better posted on the Praise, Vent & Warnings board.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure, so will remember for next time (unless it can be easily shifted).
    Please to be discriminated against by financial institutions. Thank-you for taking advantage of my Dyspraxia.:)
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,582
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 November 2022 at 4:54PM
    Am I alone in considering the M&S Christmas/Xmas (depending upon your view)  incredibly crass and insulting to a significant proportion of the population who are struggling financially at this point in the year. There is significant hardship being experienced by many families, so to be exposed to the excesses of high end retail is staggeringly insensitive.
    Are food retailers in a different category from all the other 'high end retailers' that advertise though ? Should we be objecting to adverts for other items like new brand new cars (electric or otherwise), perfume, exotic holidays etc just because not everyone can afford them ?
    Let alone the fact it is only November (yes, I concede that it is better than many previous years - I recall September, one year). BUT. It is not Christmas until the great man himself - Noddy - says so.

I suggested to someone else who posted something similar that I susected that they probably weren;t the one who did all Christmas preparations in their household (and was prompty told that I 'knew nothing about them and that they shared all the household chores!). It's actually just six weeks to Christmas and those who are feeding and entertaining large families over Christmas will probably have started their planning and shopping ages ago in order to spread the work and cost. The most canny probably bought all their wrapping paper and Christmas cards in last years January sales. So no, November is not too early for those who are expected to purchase all the presents, buy in all the food etc.
    Am I being a miserable party-pooper?
    Personally I think you are. I don't pay much attention to adverts at Christmas or any time of year, but my understanding is that at least some of the large retailers adverts do acknowlege the less well off this year - for example, Aldi's references their support for the Neighbourly charity, Lidl's is spearheading their toy donation campaign, O2 are advertising give aways of data to help people stay connected over Christmas...
    Neither I or my other half are religious, and as there are just two of us Christmas these days tend to pass us by - it's really just another day, but with no shops open (which is no great loss). Christmas dinner will probably be just whatever comes to hand out of the freezer (unless we get some good yellow sticker bargains the day before!). 
    But I have very fond memories as a child of staying at my grandparents at Christmas, opening presents, having Christmas dinner and playing party games. They were probably no better off than some of those people today, and they didn't overspend, but it was a special occasion for both them and us. I can fully understand while some families, especially those with young children, want to create good memories,  enjoy the day, and, without pushing the boat out too far, put the worries about the cost of living to one side just for a day or two.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,144
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Am I being a miserable party-pooper?
    Yes!

We have always had xmas adverts including times that have been as bad, if not, worse than today. Maybe a bit of xmas spirit will lift the mood for many and take their minds off todays bad times. Why should children do without what is a magical time for them because some 'grown ups' have decided to be offended? Manage expectations and have a xmas you can afford and enjoy, as the majority will.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I think you do have a point and I understand what you're saying. I don't think you're being a party pooper, just realistic. 

I tend not to watch the ads at all. They ARE mostly crass and sometimes it does seem as if the big retailers are being very insensitive. But there's not a lot we can do. 

On their website, if it's of any interest, M&S say -

"We believe M&S food is too good to go to waste. We work with Neighbourly to link our stores up with a network of more than 1,400 community partners who collect daily donations of surplus food. Donations include fresh fruit and vegetables, grocery items and bakery goods – in 2021/22 we donated 14.8  million meals to those in need."

I do think that many other retailers are also trying to help in similar ways. And maybe a cheery Christmas ad will make some of us smile, maybe it won't. If you are particularly aggrieved, you could always write to M&S and give them your point of view.

https://corporate.marksandspencer.com/sustainability/our-communities#:~:text=We work with Neighbourly to,meals to those in need.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,641
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If monthly paid there is only one more pay before Christmas.
  • MalMonroe said:
    If you are particularly aggrieved, you could always write to M&S and give them your point of view.

Thank-you Mal for your support and comments. Unfortunately, no you can't simply write to M&S (or certainly not email/website form them). They have been particularly devious in setting up their complaints system to only refer to local store issues.
    Very disappointing, as I am a frequent shopper at M&S but, as with all large organisations, some corporate decisions are at fault.

As for the rest of you...I accept your verdict.
    I will henceforth be painting myself green over the festive season and (whilst not having sat through the entire movie - I'm too miserable for that!) I will become the Christmas Gringe.
    Unless, of course, someone can offer me a role of being wrapped in swaddling cloths and I can rest out the season on a bed of straw at someone's Nativity scene (copious amounts of alcohol will be accepted as payment for my time).
  • I think that you are being very unreasonable. There are still many families who are not struggling, and who will be happily enjoying a nice Christmas. There is no reason at all to pander to those who are not doing so well.
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thank you OP. This posts reminds me of the thread I initiated the other day about the affordability of Xmas and those with least able to spend on presents that are not essential may get into bigger debts after the 25th Dec,

I was suggesting that all Xmas type adverts must come with a health warning like the drink/gambling/etc warnings  - and read something like 'Please only spend within you limits as Xmas is one day only and you have to think about the other 351 days...' or something like that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback