Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Advice on Car Hire - UK airport

I'm just about to hire a car for 8 days, pick up in a UK airport for travel within the UK - no huge mileage expected.

I'm just seeking general advice really as I've not done this for some time. It seems that I can pay for full insurance and if the car is damaged, I'm charged initially but the insurance will refund me. Does that all go swimmingly? The website I'm using (Rentalcars.com) says:

"At the counter, the car hire company will block a deposit amount on your credit card. You could lose your whole deposit if the car is damaged or stolen, but as long as you have our Full Insurance, Rentalcars.com will refund you!"

So does that mean I actually pay them the 'excess' of around £1400 when I collect the car? Or does "block a deposit" mean something else?

Anything I should look out for?

Should I go direct to a car hire companies website rather than a sort of broker site like Rentalcars.com, which shows quotes from many car hire companies?

Thanks.

Replies