Retrospective fee increases student finance

GrumpyMonkey1959
GrumpyMonkey1959 Posts: 5
First Post
Forumite
edited 11 November 2022 at 3:20PM in Student MoneySaving
Hello,

My son has received a letter from student finance England stating that the university he attended is increasing its tuition fees for 2019/2020. He says it's not the first one he has had with a retrospective fee increase. Student finance are just adding the increase to his loan.

Has anybody else come across this? It seems extremely unjust to me that fees can be changed retrospectively after the course has ended.

Comments

• Can you clarify the wording of this?

Why would he receive a letter today saying they were increasing fees for a course in 19/20, 3 school year cycles ago? 

Does it say the sums were wrong and that they undercharged him? 
  • The letter does not give a any reason for the fee increase.
  • The letter does not give a any reason for the fee increase.
    Sure but that isn't what I asked, can you clarify the actual wording? Maybe copy the text or take a photo, hide the personal info
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,775
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    edited 11 November 2022 at 3:13PM
    Can you tell us the exact amount? Tuition fees for undergraduate degrees in the UK are capped at £9,250, so that is the highest level they can be. 

I will request the MSE forum team move this thread to the Student board, where others may be able to advise further.

The student board can be found here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/student-money-saving
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Hi,

Sorry if this post was in the wrong place. It's the first time posted and didn't notice the student board.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback