Billed after tenancy ended

Options
Bradden
Bradden Posts: 1,096 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
Not sure if this is the best place to post or consumer rights.

In brief I've been billed for electric after I vacated a property.

I was with AM Power who failed and I was moved to Yu Energy last November -I had already notified them that my tenancy was ending but I don't know if this was pass on.

The switch was messed as Yu Energy only supplied to commercial users.

I vacacted  mid December and was then invoiced up to the 9th January.

I disputed the time period on the invoice and asked for one to be issued up to the date my tenancy ended.They did not respond and I sent them a final email in April asking to be invoiced correctly in the next 14 days or I would consider the matter closed.

Last week I receved a text message from a collection agency with a link to pay the £44 owing to Yu.

I then sent Yu a "prove it" email.

Their response:

I have just taken a look into the account and we do apologize for the back and forth . I fully do understand that you have moved out of the property on the date 06/12/2021 and you've been billed for the period 15/11/2021 to 09/01/2022 . Whilst taken a look into the account I can see that a change of tenancy request was created on the 17/12/2021 . I do need to make you aware that the change of tenancy was only closed on the date 10/01/2022 meaning that you have been billed up until that period as the meter has not been diconnected . So standing charges was also applied to the bill .
There is currently still an outstanding balance of £44.00 on the account and we do kindly ask you to settle that .

Appreciate any advice.. should I pay them?

Thanks

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Bradden said:
    Appreciate any advice.. should I pay them?
    So you've told them the date your tenancy ended, they've acknowledged that you've told them that, but they're still trying to get you to pay for the period after?
    No, you shouldn't pay.
    The bill for the period after your tenancy ended is your landlord's, not yours.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Arkell & Pressdram springs to mind :)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless you vacated before the contractual end of tenancy date?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks fvor the replies. I left on the date my tenancy ended. They just don;t seem to accept that I'm not liable for the period after this.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback