Everything is always more expensive when single!

IAMIAM
IAMIAM Posts: 1,189
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 7 November 2022 at 1:20PM in Praise, vent & warnings
And its also annoying that all government help always geared to being a couple or with children!

Comments

• diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202
    Forumite
    ACG said:
    Ive just spent over £30 on a take away. 
    It would have been £11 if I was single. 

My heating bill would be lower too as I have a 5 year old and Mrs who both start marding if it goes below 100 degrees. 

True but a single person has often one income/etc and if there were 2 adults, often both earn money and when at home the price of food would be double but not the price of gas/eletric or water if not metered, nor the rent/mortgage.

However, being single you decide alone if to do or not to do how to see or not and haw many BF/GF's you have every day of the week :D
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,171
    Forumite
    edited 6 November 2022 at 6:46PM
    Not all couples have two incomes but have others to look after. Government kind of has to look after kids, as they can't very well look after themselves or make an income to help support the home.

Things are definitely geared towards couples, like you can't buy single chicken breasts or portions of meat etc at supermarket amongst other things.
    When you are single though you can house share, do extra work... Life becomes much more restrictive as you get older and have others to care for.
  • london21
    london21 Posts: 2,089
    Forumite
    Both single or coupled etc have their pros and cons.

Maybe not everything but things like home broadband, tv package/licence etc will be 1 price regardless of been single or couple.

Council tax, they do offer single person discount 25%.
  • IAMIAM said:
    And its also annoying that all government help always geared to being a couple or with children!
    Council tax is less when single.

And the thing about government help for folk with children, it doesn't eliminate the costs, just mitigates them.

Still I am of the view that when it comes to purchasing property, trying to do it based on a single person with average income, is much harder that a joint venture with 2 incomes. 
  • simon_or
    simon_or Posts: 890
    Forumite
    IAMIAM said:
    There are certainly a lot of potential tax advantages for married couples (or civil partners) but not as much for unmarried couples.
    Imho there isn't a huge lot of help for kids compared to other similarly sized European countries.
    When it comes to mortgages and buying property, it certainly is advantageous to have 2 incomes but children can be a drag on affordability, due to being dependents and even more so if you have childcare expenses.
    I'm curious to know, what kind of 'government help' for families are you annoyed about?
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,825
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Not sure what government help there is specifically for couples as I've not found anything, unless you mean UC but that's open to singles / couples and depends on their circumstances.

I also find things more expensive as a couple, more gas, electric, 100% council tax, food; I can feed myself for under £20pw.

As for needing a double income to buy a property, that all depends on where people live. I found it quite easy buying on my below average income. 

Perhaps O/P should head over to the DFW board as they'll get to see all types of people and circumstances, they may even pick up some hints and tips.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback