£175 bonus Switching accounts

Hi All
I have just seen the first direct switching bonus of £175 when i switch accounts to them. 
My question is - i have a current account with my current bank, this has my wages paid into it and all my direct debits come out of it. 
I also have a couple of savings account with the same bank that are just sitting there with a few quid in. 
If i applied for the account/switched - can i just switch one of the savings pots over? Or would it end up closing my whole bank account down? Im worried it would require the whole lot to go over.
Cheers for any advice. 

Comments

• rothesy
    rothesy Posts: 70 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    You are just switching your current account.  Why not just close the accounts with a few pounds in.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The switching system is for current accounts - it only switches one current account to another current account.

There is no mechanism for switching any other sort of account. 

So any other accounts you hold with the original bank stay there.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You savings accounts may be dependent on holding a current account with that particular bank, so if you switch the current account those savings a/cs may become null & void.

You would probably be better advised to hold onto you main account and open a donor account with the same bank. Once it is up and running and 'groomed' to meet the t&cs for Ist Direct then switch it.

In this day and age it is useful to have accounts in more than one bank in case of IT malfunctions etc.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • Hi All
    I have just seen the first direct switching bonus of £175 when i switch accounts to them. 
    My question is - i have a current account with my current bank, this has my wages paid into it and all my direct debits come out of it. 
    I also have a couple of savings account with the same bank that are just sitting there with a few quid in. 
    If i applied for the account/switched - can i just switch one of the savings pots over? Or would it end up closing my whole bank account down? Im worried it would require the whole lot to go over.
    Cheers for any advice. 
    As has been mentioned above, the Current Account Switch Service (CASS) only switches current accounts. You cannot switch a savings account. The good thing however is that when you switch only the current account elect to switch is affected. Any other products you hold will not be closed (eg. other current accounts, savings accounts, credit cards, etc), but there may be complications if you close your current account (such as being unable to withdraw from savings without visiting a branch, etc) - check the T&Cs of the other products you hold for more information.

The CASS process will switch a single current account from Bank A into a single current account with Bank B. The easiest way to take advantage of switch incentives without closing down your existing main account would be to open a second current account (often called a "donor" or "dummy" account) and switch that one instead. This will leave your main day-to-day account unaffected but still allow you to take advantage of the various incentives on offer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback