How to Stop Adobe Launching?

Options
Hi

Every-time I try to open a PDF document, it automatically opens in Adobe but then closes itself down.  I no longer pay a fee for Adobe so I guess this is the problem.  However, I am happy enough with freeware.    I can open and view the PDF's if I select 'Open with Chrome' for example.

How can I set my laptop to stop trying to open in Adobe in the first place?

Many thanks

Comments

• Clueless56
    Options
    If you right-click on a PDF and select Settings, you will see that you can change 'Opens With' to another application.  That will be replicated for all PDFs on your PC.
  • Yorkie006
    Yorkie006 Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If you can install Adobe Acrobat DC it will let you open/view pdf files for free. It's what I use (never paid for Adobe).
    Or change the default program for opening pdfs in the PC's settings to whatever program you want to use instead.
  • Yorkie006
    Yorkie006 Posts: 203 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Every-time I try to open a PDF document, it automatically opens in Adobe but then closes itself down.  I no longer pay a fee for Adobe so I guess this is the problem.  However, I am happy enough with freeware.    I can open and view the PDF's if I select 'Open with Chrome' for example.

How can I set my laptop to stop trying to open in Adobe in the first place?

Many thanks
    You may want to uninstall the Adobe in you don't want to use it.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use Sumatra pdf reader.

Also opens comic book archive, epub, mobi and a few others I never use.

On my win 10 pc, right click on a pdf, select "open with" then "choose another app"  find the app you want to use and tick the "always use this app to open pdf files" box.

(I accept my pc might be different, I used winaero tweaker to add some useful things, like seconds in the clock and open command prompt here, and to kill all the adverts and web search from the taskbar)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • HollyandCo
    Options
    Yorkie006 said:
    If you can install Adobe Acrobat DC it will let you open/view pdf files for free. It's what I use (never paid for Adobe).
    Or change the default program for opening pdfs in the PC's settings to whatever program you want to use instead.
    How do I change the default program - I don't know where to look.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Options
    How do I change the default program - I don't know where to look.
    The post just above yours will tell you how.
  • HollyandCo
    Options
    Thank you.  I totally missed that.

I also deleted Adobe and that resolved my problem.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback