Watch Out. British Gas are lying about meter readings

Options
n3phi1im
n3phi1im Posts: 219 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
As of 5 minutes ago, my gas reading was 21859.
But when I log in to give the reading, the page says their previous ACTUAL reading is 22037
According to my statement, they read it on Oct 10th as 21822
It seems, when they shifted people onto their 'new billing system, they have done an estimate at that date (18/10/22) but are claiming it as an actual reading that I gave them.

Comments

• Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,320 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Take a pic of your meter with date stamp and send it to them
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It seems, when they shifted people onto their 'new billing system, they have done an estimate at that date (18/10/22) but are claiming it as an actual reading that I gave them.
    What effect, if any, does this have on your actual bills? It may just be a system constraint that has no effect on your bills going forward.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dolor said:
    What effect, if any, does this have on your actual bills? It may just be a system constraint that has no effect on your bills going forward.

OP has paid too much because the estimate is too high, and they can't even correct it because the system won't let them.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ectophile said:
    Dolor said:

OP has paid too much because the estimate is too high, and they can't even correct it because the system won't let them.
    Nowhere in the OP’s post does it say that the reading has been used for billing. If it is just a closing reading for the old system and an an opening reading for the new system - and both readings are the same - then the matter will be resolved once a meter reading is accepted for the next billing date. The caveat in RED underneath the reading indicates to me that the reading shown is not validated and it will not be used for billing.
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 668 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When was the last time you were billed & on what reading. Their higher estimate for final/initial reading may work in your favour as you may have been charged more units as the lower pre Oct 1 prices. If you’re on a fix, makes no difference. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback