Asda have taken money without authorisation from my credit card.

MollyR
MollyR Posts: 2,137
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
edited 3 November 2022 at 4:11PM in Praise, vent & warnings
I placed an online order worth £100+£1.75 delivery.  The day of delivery, they e-mailed me to say they could only deliver £30 worth, plus the £1.75 delivery.  But, several days later, they charged my credit card with £101.75 - thus taking £70 extra without authorisation.
I have tried phoning Customer Services, who e-mailed me a £5 voucher (which I consider an insult), and then hung up on me;  I have exchanged many e-mails with various people at Customer Services;  and nobody is in the slightest bit interested in refunding the money which they have taken without authorisation.  Eventually I said that I was going to contact the media about it;  so they e-mailed to say that they had initiated a refund ... for £31.75!  And now I cannot get any response to my e-mails at all.
I just cannot understand how anybody can call themselves Customer Services but fail so spectacularly to do what should be a very simple thing - to refund the money they should not have taken (which I suspect is illegal anyway, and the man on the phone did agree with this);  to apologise;  and to make an ex gratia payment in compensation (I suggested £30 to cover my time, stress, and time on the phone).  I think I am going to be reduced to sending snailmail to their head office, as even the number they publish for that is the same old Customer Services number.
Has anybody got any sure-fire way of contacting anybody at Asda who will actually take any action about a complaint?  (I don't do social media.)

Comments

• SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,262
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have they actually taken the full amount (i.e. has that amount been debited from your account) or have they simply ringfenced that amount but debited the £31.75 which they have now refunded? If the latter then it looks like you're quids in, assuming you received the goods that they advised they could supply. If it's the former then ask your card issuer about a Chargeback.
    As for compo, you might be offered something to make you go away, but you're unlikely to be due anything for your time, and certainly nothing for stress (how would you put a price on stress anyway?).

• MollyR
    Forumite
    No, they took the £101.75 rather than the £31.75 they were entitled to.  Trouble is, I don't know whether the credit card issuer will do a chargeback if Asda have made this partial refund!  And I am sure it will lead to another long phone call.  Ah well.
    And basically I want an ex gratia payment to punish them for being so totally incompetent! :D
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,495
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    When you say 
    MollyR said:
    The day of delivery, they e-mailed me to say they could only deliver £30 worth, plus the £1.75 delivery.
    what was the reason?  Did you make it clear then that the rest of the order was to be cancelled?  Could someone (some system) at Asda think the remaining £70 worth of goods are still on order and due to be delivered.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • MollyR
    Forumite
    Well, their e-mail said that, due to lack of stock, they were only able to deliver three out of the ten bottles of wine I had ordered, and that the value of my order had therefore been reduced from £101.75 to £31.75.  I suspect that somebody at Asda, in a hurry and not bothering to look properly at the complaint, has just pressed a button to refund the final value of the order, rather than the excess amount taken from the credit card. 
    What really bugs me is that there are so many people in Customer Services and not one of them seems willing actually to look at the facts, or to take any action - or even to reply to e-mails!  I e-mailed [email protected] again yesterday, saying that I had now sent full details of the whole shebang to Anna Tims at the Guardian (the money problems page) and raised the matter on Martin Lewis's forum, and said "I would suggest that now might be a very good time for somebody at Asda who actually knows and cares what they are doing to sort this shocking catalogue of errors out, once and for all."  But I have not had even an an acknowledgement.
  • k12479
    k12479 Posts: 698
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MollyR said:
    ...thus taking £70 extra without authorisation...refunding the money which they have taken without authorisation...refund the money they should not have taken (which I suspect is illegal anyway...
    You authorised it - https://asda-grocery.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail_grow/a_id/2192?cmpid=CSC_RCM-FAQ_PYMTS_2191_2192

"we take payment for the full order amount that was pending. After this, we update the charges..."

Did you wait long enough for the refund of the undelivered items before kicking off?
  • MollyR
    Forumite
    The order was delivered on 12th October.  On 25th October, I saw from my credit card statement that they had charged £101.75 on 22nd October.  I think that is a sufficient length of time for them to have got it right, if they had bothered to do so.  I contacted them on the morning of 25th October about it, and it is now 4th November, 11 days later, and they have still not put it right.  I do not consider that I did not wait long enough before "kicking off" (what an unpleasant expression).
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,120
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    go to the cc and explain Asda took too much.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback