Authorised user access

I’ve just opened a Barclaycard Avios ccard. I e added my wife as an authorised user with her own card. Am I correct in understanding that she can’t add the card to her own app or see any transactions undertaken? 

Is there anyway to allow this (as I see Barclays Bank allow you to add authorised users who can see transactions in the account). 

All we want is to see our spending as a whole on the card. 

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,013
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    At best she would only be able to see her spending in her app. As she is not the account holder. But even that may not be possible. She would need to ask Barclays.

You will be able to see ALL spending on the account as you are the account holder.
    Life in the slow lane
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,875
    Forumite

Barclays list a number of possibilities on their website https://www.barclays.co.uk/ways-to-bank/authorised-users/manage-account/ which does include allowing secondary card holders (or account supervisors) to see see the account and all transactions however its unclear if this only applies to current accounts or includes credit cards.
  • sm82
    sm82 Posts: 40
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Barclays list a number of possibilities on their website https://www.barclays.co.uk/ways-to-bank/authorised-users/manage-account/ which does include allowing secondary card holders (or account supervisors) to see see the account and all transactions however its unclear if this only applies to current accounts or includes credit cards.
    I saw that and I think it’s ridiculous that you can share/see all accounts transactions with a main bank account (if joint or authorised), yet the same two people can’t do the same option with a credit card!
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,652
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    With credit cards I am not aware of an authorised user. You have the main card holder and any supplementary card holders. The bank's contract is with the main card holder. If the main card holder decides to give someone else access to their credit facility, then that person becomes a supplementary card holder.
    I am aware for certain Amex cards, there can be more than 1 supplementary card holder as long as your credit limit is high enough.
    Most threads I have read on here suggest that supplementary card holders can't get access to an app to manage their card. This means if a code is required to authorise a transaction, the code goes to the phone of the primary card holder (you in this case).
    The only exception seems to be Amex which allows supplementary card holders to have their details on their own app. But they can only see their transactions and not the primary cardholder's transactions.
    I expect this is because of the legislation that was brought in to set up credit cards. You and your wife may share many things, but ownership of a credit card at the moment won't be one of them. If you feel strongly enough about this, feel free to contact your MP.
  • lr1277
    Forumite
    Further to my previous post, I was thinking. This is about unsecured lending of which credit cards are a form. The other unsecured lending is a personal loan. I haven't had a loan for many years so don't remember if you can get joint unsecured loans. I suspect not.
    However for secured lending, then banks will lend to 2 (or more) people.
    This ia all about the bank getting its money back. And all the people who lent the bank or invested with the bank getting their money back. If the lending is unsecured I am guessing it is easier for the bank to chase one person for the loaned money instead of 2. Because in the case of 2 people, they can point the finger at each other.
    Pure speculation on my part.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,072
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You certainly can get a joint loan. See for instance:
    https://www.tescobank.com/loans/joint-loan/

It's quite the reverse for chasing it. Having two people gives them an extra option of who to chase, as loans have 'joint and several' liability.

If your friend / spouse can't pay, then you are responsible for the full amount, not just half. 
  • lr1277
    Forumite
    Nebulous2 said:
    You certainly can get a joint loan. See for instance:
    https://www.tescobank.com/loans/joint-loan/

It's quite the reverse for chasing it. Having two people gives them an extra option of who to chase, as loans have 'joint and several' liability.

If your friend / spouse can't pay, then you are responsible for the full amount, not just half. 
    Thanks. I posted my speculation as to why credit cards couldn’t be jointly held unlike say a joint current account with an overdraft. Obviously my analysis was incorrect.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,013
    Forumite
    sm82 said:

I saw that and I think it’s ridiculous that you can share/see all accounts transactions with a main bank account (if joint or authorised), yet the same two people can’t do the same option with a credit card!
    Basically, That is because only one person is in control of a CC & liable for the debt on a credit card account. All you do is allow someone to have a card on the account. They can not do anything other than spend. So they do not need to have access to anything else on the account.

As opposed to a joint bank account where both parties are liable for the debt.
    Life in the slow lane
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,875
    Forumite
    sm82 said:

Basically, That is because only one person is in control of a CC & liable for the debt on a credit card account. All you do is allow someone to have a card on the account. They can not do anything other than spend. So they do not need to have access to anything else on the account.

As opposed to a joint bank account where both parties are liable for the debt.

You havent looked at the webpage have you @born_again?

Barclays allow you to add any person you like to your current account access to be able to see, and to some degree control, the account without it being a joint account with that person. If there is an overdraft then you remain solely liable for it even if you've given the other person permission to view it or make payments. You can similarly issue a secondary cardholder to it without it being a joint account and again can given them access or not to view the account online. 

There is no reason why the same cannot apply to credit cards, and indeed AmEx do allow secondary cardholders to log in (though only see their own spend/balance), given both would result in 2 people accessing but only 1 person liable
  • etienneg
    etienneg Posts: 461
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I understand that joint credit cards don't exist in this country, but they do in some other countries. I'm interested in understanding why this is so. Assuming it is to do with the legal framework in this country, can anyone point me to the relevant legislation or other explanation at the legal level, please?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback