Hargreaves Lansdown and ISA

I am looking into opening an Active Savings Account with HL. I have never used one of these platforms before but have now read lots about them and it seems pretty clear. I am going to have about £50,000 to put into savings accounts soon, I’d like to earn some interest over the next 6 years until  I retire to supplement my pension. I just wondered if a savings platform is a good idea and why their cash ISA rates are so low. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Comments

• Band7
    Band7 Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    HL take a cut for the service they provide. In most cases, you will get much better rates if you go directly to a savings provider rather than use the HL service.

If you don't need your money for the next six year, why not go for a a fixed term account? The currently best fixed term ISA a 3 and a bit years one from Coventry, maturing on 30.11.25, 4.4%. The best non-ISA account is a 5-year 5.1% at Gatehouse.

• ST73
    ST73 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post
    Band7 said:
    HL take a cut for the service they provide. In most cases, you will get much better rates if you go directly to a savings provider rather than use the HL service.

If you don't need your money for the next six year, why not go for a a fixed term account? The currently best fixed term ISA a 3 and a bit years one from Coventry, maturing on 30.11.25, 4.4%. The best non-ISA account is a 5-year 5.1% at Gatehouse.

I was just looking at the changing interest rates and putting money into several accounts for different periods of time. Whether this is worth the effort I suppose depends on whether the interest rate keeps rising. A fixed term isa may be an easier option, thanks for your help.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,979 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The main advantage of HL active savings ( or similar) is that you can switch to a new savings provider without having to register with them as a new customer. This can be a faff sometimes,
    Of course you can only switch to providers/deals that HL offer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback