Am I entitled to part of my ex husband’s pension??

I was married to my ex husband, the father of my four children, from 2001 to 2015. We had an Islamic marriage and he was abusive so I left with the children in 2015. I have National Insurance gaps in my record for these 14 years I was married to him. 
Am I entitled to claim a part of his pension for these years? If so how would I go about this? I still have a copy of the marriage certificate, although we didn’t have a civil marriage but we were definitely married. I don’t have money so can’t afford legal advice. Thanks for any responses I really appreciate it!

Replies

• edited 27 October 2022 at 3:54PM
    DaliahDaliah Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 27 October 2022 at 3:54PM
    I doubt you are but you might be entitled to NI credits as you looked after your children. Best hop over to the Pensions board and ask your question there https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/pensions-annuities-retirement-planning
  • EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    16.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Allowing that you have children, was there not an agreed financial settlement when the divorce was arranged? That usually takes into account things like pensions. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 🎉
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    2023 "Gym Neutral Fund" - £11.87/£280 (Membership taken 01/2/23)🏋🏻♀️ 2023/24 Gym cost per use: at 01/02/23 £280.00 per visit! (1) 🏋🏻♀️
    she/her
  • xylophonexylophone Forumite
    41.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have National Insurance gaps in my record for these 14 years I was married to him. 

Were you receiving Child  Benefit during those years?

What exactly does your state pension forecast show?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

When you mention claiming part of his pension, do you mean his occupational pension?

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    112K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Am I entitled to claim a part of his pension for these years?
    Highly unlikely as assets, including pension are considered in the divorce settlement.  As you are divorced, the split of assets must have already been agreed.  A clean break is normally the outcome unless hidden assets have come to light after the event.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sammyjammysammyjammy Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Did you have a civil divorce as well as an Islamic divorce?
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • clowningclowning Forumite
    72 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Are you saying that the only wedding was the Islamic wedding? It's best to seek legal advice I think, as not all Islamic weddings are recognised in the UK. 
  • LHW99LHW99 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    clowning said:
    Are you saying that the only wedding was the Islamic wedding? It's best to seek legal advice I think, as not all Islamic weddings are recognised in the UK. 

If you have home insurance, some will include a legal advice helpline, which could help with some of the questions about the wedding. Worth checking the documents.
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Also look to any links to legal advice through any work/school/church associations.  Many larger employers have some sort legal advice as a benefit usually via some employment assistance programme.  So where I used to work I could phone AXA to access a service the employer paid for and could talk to them about financial difficulties, mental health issues or legal problems.  It didn't always mean I could get a lawyer to do things for me but they could point in me in the right direction. 

There's also a lot of occupational organisations that do this as well - might be via a union or something supported by but otherwise directly related to the company.  Unite Union and Bank Workers' Charity spring to mind.  Any military link could get you assistance from SSAFA etc.

If none of those work then there's always Citizen's Advice.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”

2023 £1 a day  £54.26/365
  • DullGreyGuyDullGreyGuy Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

I was married to my ex husband, the father of my four children, from 2001 to 2015. We had an Islamic marriage and he was abusive so I left with the children in 2015. I have National Insurance gaps in my record for these 14 years I was married to him. 
    Am I entitled to claim a part of his pension for these years? If so how would I go about this? I still have a copy of the marriage certificate, although we didn’t have a civil marriage but we were definitely married. I don’t have money so can’t afford legal advice. Thanks for any responses I really appreciate it!
    Where was your marriage?

If it was in the UK then a Nikah without a corresponding civil marriage is not recognised in UK law and so you were legally co-habitting rather than married. The protection and basic rights on dividing assets on splitting up is much weaker for co-habitting couples compared to married ones.
  • I was married in the UK yes