UC Claim

Options
Hi all

Me and my husband are in the process of splitting up however he currently has nowhere to live so will be staying here for the time being, am I able to claim universal credit as single or will him living here mean I can't? I'm in Northern Ireland incase that makes any difference

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Will you be living as two separate households?  Separate rooms?  Sharing bills?  Buying and cooking food separately?  These are the kind of things they may ask about, it will be up to you to satisfy them that you are indeed separated.  Are there children in the household?

Would he be entitled to UC himself if he rented somewhere and needed help?
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Having seperate bank accounts will also help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think taht is probably essential - if you still have a shared bank account it will be difficult to argue that you are separated.

Here is DWP own guidance
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/661551/adme4.pdf
    and
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1077570/adme2.pdf
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MarieO2491
    Options
    Will you be living as two separate households?  Separate rooms?  Sharing bills?  Buying and cooking food separately?  These are the kind of things they may ask about, it will be up to you to satisfy them that you are indeed separated.  Are there children in the household?

We will be staying in separate rooms, I work days and he works nights so we basically don't see eachother, he's been buying/cooking his own food, we have a joint mortgage and kids and that's where we would maybe be stuck because we would share electric/gas bill and the mortgage payment. I'm not sure how you would completely split electric/gas bill mind.
  • MarieO2491
    Options
    We do have separate accounts however we have one joint account for paying our mortgage, insurances related to mortgage etc.
  • MarieO2491
    Options

Sorry missed that last bit aswell, no he wouldn't be entitled to any UC even alone. Tbh neither of us can find anywhere affordable to go and moving in with family isn't an option for either of us 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback