MSE News: Octopus and Ovo to pay customers to reduce their electricity use at peak time this winter

Options
MSE_Petar
MSE_Petar Posts: 333 MSE Staff
Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
Two of the largest energy firms in Great Britain, Octopus and Ovo, will pay households up to £100 to cut their electricity usage during peak times this winter, as part of new schemes aimed at preventing power shortages. The schemes will run from 1 November to 31 March 2023, though the exact details of how they'll work are yet to be confirmed. Here's what we know.

Read the full story:
'Octopus and Ovo to pay customers up to £100 this winter to reduce their electricity use at peak times – what we know so far'

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Well I'm with Octopus and - first requirement, you need to have a smart meter. We don't have one. Don't want one either.
    Second requirement - don't use electricity during the evening peak time between around 4.30pm and 6.30pm 

We only have an electric oven (not from choice but because we live in a council flat that was only allowed to be all electric for H&S reasons when we first moved in so we had to get rid of our fabulous gas oven and buy a brand new electric one - but we do prefer gas ovens).

So it's all just rubbish for us - or we could just have sandwiches for tea on those days. Even so, we'd want a hot cuppa, surely. . . and maybe even a hot pudding?

I love perks as much as the next person but have fallen at the first (and every other) hurdle with this one. Thanks again, Octopus.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 October 2022 at 3:42PM
    Options
    This could be a definite incentive to me to hurry up our SM installation request. Great to finally see something in place that might begin to convince some of the tinfoil hatters of the possible positive attributes of SM's as well! 

Having read the detail (such as is known currently) I suspect we simply wouldn't be able to make the required cuts actually as we would usually use so little during those peak times anyway - we literally wouldn't have 0.7kWh use in the first place, never mind being able to reduce by that much! If we were people who would usually use energy in that timeslot though it would certainly be a good incentive to rearrange things just a little to se if we could hit the target reduction amounts. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    Well I'm with Octopus and - first requirement, you need to have a smart meter. We don't have one. Don't want one either.
    Second requirement - don't use electricity during the evening peak time between around 4.30pm and 6.30pm 

We only have an electric oven (not from choice but because we live in a council flat that was only allowed to be all electric for H&S reasons when we first moved in so we had to get rid of our fabulous gas oven and buy a brand new electric one - but we do prefer gas ovens).

So it's all just rubbish for us - or we could just have sandwiches for tea on those days. Even so, we'd want a hot cuppa, surely. . . and maybe even a hot pudding?

I love perks as much as the next person but have fallen at the first (and every other) hurdle with this one. Thanks again, Octopus.
    I take it you're being facetious? You did have me for a moment there.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 October 2022 at 3:56PM
    Options
    I would be interested to know whether it's only open to people who have smart meters from the beginning, or if eligibility is on a rolling basis (e.g. once we have X weeks' usage data you can qualify for the next one).

MalMonroe said:
    Slow cooker?  Leftovers from yesterday reheated in the microwave?  Flask for a cuppa, if you've decided boiling a kettle during the timeslot is unacceptable?  Hot pudding after the timeslot (or microwaved to warm it up)?
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy to see schemes like this getting launched.
    We will not benefit directly as we use zero electricity during that time period having already taken the steps necessary to shift our load out of the peak period.
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm with OVO but cannot have a smart meter.  They have tried twice to fit one, but there is no signal that they can lock onto.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    badger09 said:
    FWIW we won’t benefit either.
    Nor will we, our usage looks something like this:
    Daily-Consumption
    Not much scope to reduce the evening use!

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    How else would they be able to monitor hour specific electricity use if not with a smart meter?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback