Which? Magazine Chairman's Conflict of Interest

Shanker
Shanker Posts: 126 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 24 October 2022 at 1:10PM in Praise, vent & warnings
It has come to my attention in the financial section of the MoS (The Reader's Champion), that the chairman of Which? is also the head of an advisory group connected through a complex group of companies with a private parking company which issues penalties and demands unscrupulously, (allegedly).

I have been a member of Which? for many, many years and was blissfully unaware of this possible/probable conflict of interest.

I have written to Which? for an explanation and copied this to Tony Hetherington.

I am not in the habit of taking one piece of news or article and believing it is gospel, so I have searched and waited for other sources to corroborate, but so far nothing has come to light.

If anyone else who is a paying member of Which? you may also feel you need to question the ethical standpoint of Mr Sam Younger on being highly involved with what appear to be two opposing organisations.

Comments

• What is the consumer rights question here?
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    m-holland said:
    What is the consumer rights question here?
    Not really a consumer rights issue but seems a good place to post this... if it's true the "optics" aren't great.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In fairness, the 'Mail' is extremely unreliable. On any issue involving complexity they are likely to get it wrong. In the absence of corroboration from a proper newspaper I suggest you suspend judgment.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Has Which reviewed private parking companies?

If not, what's the conflict of interest?
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In fairness, the 'Mail' is extremely unreliable. On any issue involving complexity they are likely to get it wrong. In the absence of corroboration from a proper newspaper I suggest you suspend judgment.
    Indeed.

My default position is to assume that anything in that "newspaper" is false unless proved otherwise.

• I can't see the issue - by your own admission it's a 'complex link' and even if it wasn't, there's no real conflict of interest between a company reviewing services / goods and a parking company. 
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 24 October 2022 at 1:05PM
    I can't see the issue - by your own admission it's a 'complex link' and even if it wasn't, there's no real conflict of interest between a company reviewing services / goods and a parking company. 
    But Which? aren't just a review company... they are also involved in consumer rights... which i would say conflicts with the private parking companies interested... you can't be in the pocket of the PPC's and a consumer champion  IMHO.

Who we are - Which?

Which? is the UK’s consumer champion. As an organisation we’re not for profit and all for protecting consumers – a powerful force for good, here to make life simpler, fairer and safer for everyone.
  • Moss5
    Moss5 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary

Elizabeth Rigby, Media Editor | Alexi Mostrous, Special Correspondent

Wednesday February 24 2016, 12.01am, The Times

Peter Vicary-Smith will receive most of his money this year from an incentive scheme

NOT KNOWN

https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/10m-drop-income-charity-behind-which-brand/finance/article/1703736

The latest accounts show pay received by chief executive Anabel Hoult increased to between £390,000 and £400,000, up from between £330,000 and £340,000 in the previous year.

The figure includes a pensions allowance that has more than tripled year on year, while the bonus payment has nearly doubled to £103,000.

Hoult became chief executive in July 2018.

At the time a spokesman said Hoult would receive a base salary of £250,000 a year plus a bonus that would have a target value of 30 per cent of her salary but capped at 50 per cent, meaning she could not receive more than £375,000 a year.

• Moss5 said:

Elizabeth Rigby, Media Editor | Alexi Mostrous, Special Correspondent

Wednesday February 24 2016, 12.01am, The Times

Peter Vicary-Smith will receive most of his money this year from an incentive scheme

NOT KNOWN

https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/10m-drop-income-charity-behind-which-brand/finance/article/1703736

The latest accounts show pay received by chief executive Anabel Hoult increased to between £390,000 and £400,000, up from between £330,000 and £340,000 in the previous year.

The figure includes a pensions allowance that has more than tripled year on year, while the bonus payment has nearly doubled to £103,000.

Hoult became chief executive in July 2018.

At the time a spokesman said Hoult would receive a base salary of £250,000 a year plus a bonus that would have a target value of 30 per cent of her salary but capped at 50 per cent, meaning she could not receive more than £375,000 a year.

What does a report from six years ago have to do with this discussion?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback