PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Service Charge and Debt collectors

Options
Wenpat
Wenpat Posts: 14 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 26 October 2022 at 5:22PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi
I’m looking for advice as at a loss to know how to go forward with this situation 
I bought my flat in June this year at the time the management company was changing hands. I received a letter from the new management company late august , introducing themselves and their portal.   My mistake I didn’t go on the portal at had t realised this was the way I pay the service charge!! The letter didn’t explain this . I went on in October to find out why I hadn’t received invoices to see the invoice on the system with £220 legal fees and £180 admin fee 
I went on a live chat and was told this was  debt collectors fees and admin charges   I haven’t received anything from a debt collecting agency . So am I in a position to dispute these charges.  I’m concerned that whilst trying to see where I stand with this they will be escalating charges without contacting me
any advise would be welcome
thankyou

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Wenpat said:
    Hi
    I’m looking for advice as at a loss to know how to go forward with this situation 
    I bought my flat in June this year at the time the management company was changing hands. I received a letter from the new management company late august , introducing themselves and their portal.   My mistake I didn’t go on the portal at had t realised this was the way I pay the service charge!! The letter didn’t explain this . I went on in October to find out why I hadn’t received invoices to see the invoice on the system with £220 legal fees and £180 admin fee 
    I went on a live chat and was told this was  debt collectors fees and admin charges   I haven’t received anything from a debt collecting agency . So am I in a position to dispute these charges.  I’m concerned that whilst trying to see where I stand with this they will be escalating charges without contacting me
    any advise would be welcome
    thankyou

Ask in the house buying section
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/house-buying-renting-selling

Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, 

Yes, you can always dispute any charges. (I don't think you need to ask in the house buying section on this occasion, since your query is about charges and fees rather than the buying of a property.)

You need to speak to someone in the new Management Company as soon as possible to explain your position as you have done here in your original post - plus the fact that you didn't realise that you had to logon to their portal in order to pay the charges because their introduction letter did not specify that. You could also make the point that you were mortified to see the invoice with legal fees and admin charges after you did logon. 

It'd be best to speak to someone on the phone, rather than do an online chat. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    edited 24 October 2022 at 9:15AM
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    Hi, 

Yes, you can always dispute any charges. (I don't think you need to ask in the house buying section on this occasion, since your query is about charges and fees rather than the buying of a property.)

You need to speak to someone in the new Management Company as soon as possible to explain your position as you have done here in your original post - plus the fact that you didn't realise that you had to logon to their portal in order to pay the charges because their introduction letter did not specify that. You could also make the point that you were mortified to see the invoice with legal fees and admin charges after you did logon. 

It'd be best to speak to someone on the phone, rather than do an online chat. 

It's still related to buying a property and the question frequently pops up, especially within the first few years of owning somewhere.

It's definitely not "a local bargain" as none of us can rush out and buy it 😉

Edit to add link to new thread, where the relevant information is being provided:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396899/service-charge-debts#latest
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback