Help with Energy Bills Query

Options
I believe every household is going to get a payment of £60 per month to help with their energy bills can someone tell me how this is going to be paid either into your bank account or directly to your energy supplier.I beleive this should have started this month October.Thank's

Comments

• tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    laserbeam said:
    I believe every household is going to get a payment of £60 per month to help with their energy bills can someone tell me how this is going to be paid either into your bank account or directly to your energy supplier.I beleive this should have started this month October.Thank's
    £66/£67 for 6 months.

Either as credit to the bill or into your bank account, depends on supplier.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Check your energy company's website. it may tell you on there how they are dealing with it.

• peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 October 2022 at 3:11PM
    Options
    Im with EDF on a fixed tariff and pay £64 a month.  For October they took the direct debit of £64, then two days later credited my account with a further £66 from the gov, which they then returned to me.  

It’s an odd way to do it, why not just not take my DD and keep the £66 on my account. 

But as above speak to your provider or check your account if you have online access to it. 
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    peteuk said:
    Im with EDF on a fixed tariff and pay £64 a month.  For October they took the direct debit of £64, then two days later credited my account with a further £66 from the gov, which they then returned to me.  

It’s an odd way to do it, why not just not take my DD and keep the £66 on my account. 

But as above speak to your provider or check your account if you have online access to it. 
    It's to free up some money for other useful things such as food, housing costs, etc. 

(The original intention was that because direct debits would have to go up to cover the increase, the government would help pay some of that increase.  But with it all happening so quickly, suppliers haven't had time to review DD amounts and implement the government discount.  So the discount has been given priority.)
  • Robbie64
    Robbie64 Posts: 1,940 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    peteuk said:

I'm with EDF too. Like yourself I have also received a £66 credit in my bank account. I increased my DD this month to allow for increased energy costs. The increase isn't by £66 but by what should be enough to cover the increased prices.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think it is easier for the energy company to refund the money than amend direct debits. 

There would be so many different adjustments to be made to thousands of direct debits and it would all have to adjusted again in March.

Doing it their way no amendment is needed to direct debits.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm with Octopus and they just reduced my DD by £66 but i increased it to the usual amount so at least it will help with the increases.
  • whizzywoo
    whizzywoo Posts: 702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We are with Bulb.

Our dd stayed the same.  No bank refund.

£66 credit on our account.

Leaving things as they are for the moment.   We are a few hundred pounds in credit which will help towards the higher bills expected over the winter.
    "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  :) 
  • laserbeam
    laserbeam Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My monthly energy  bill is £42.which I pay by direct debit  and £42 was taken at the of October and I then I got the £42 back and the balance £18 is in credit on my account so no energy bills to bay now untill believe March or April unless things get worse.
  • Rimkh2
    Rimkh2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How do you keep your energy bills that low? I am very concerned about my 93 year old father. He lives on his own over 200 miles from nearest relatives. His only income is a state pension of £600.00 per month. He is with Edf and was paying £200 per month by direct debit. They have just called him and told him this will increase to £400 from 1st January. This is for a small 2 bed terraced house. He is currently over £600 in credit on his account. At the new rate he will be unable to exist financially within a few months. Help!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback