LNER Strike Nov 3rd and Booking.com?

Options
I have had a trip booked to London and back with LNER from Yorkshire for a while and the return journey falls on the train strike. To move my ticket is £227 for both of us and we would need another night in a hotel.

LNER app isn't offering any advice or a way to live my ticket without extortionate fees and I can't cancel and get a refund as I booked in advance. What can I do to 1) actually go on the trip and get home (megabus doesn't run to my town but I can get a national express for £60 and it's a 9.25hr journey)
2) get my money back?

Hotel is booking.con non refundable. Whole trip was about £500 and paid on credit card.

Comments

• k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If they follow previous strikes LNER will offer free move of the affected leg of the journey - but this won't help you if you're looking to move the whole trip. Likewise unlikely to help with the accommodation side of things (plus you'll find that adding an extra night may either be expensive or just not possible as people change their plans

Last time I was affected I picked up a one-way hire car for £40 (albeit at corporate rates) and got myself home.

Have you spoken to LNER re refund options - or do you have any travel insurance ?

• Dentoned
    Dentoned Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I haven't been able to get though their chat but yet. I've not tried calling however.
  • Dentoned
    Options
    k3lvc said:
    If they follow previous strikes LNER will offer free move of the affected leg of the journey - but this won't help you if you're looking to move the whole trip. Likewise unlikely to help with the accommodation side of things (plus you'll find that adding an extra night may either be expensive or just not possible as people change their plans

Last time I was affected I picked up a one-way hire car for £40 (albeit at corporate rates) and got myself home.

Have you spoken to LNER re refund options - or do you have any travel insurance ?

It looks like the train I am booked on is cancelled as there are no available tickets for it. However the one 15 mins later is running but it's showing as £165 extra?! Am I expected to pay this even though I have a ticket? I have no travel insurance either ☹️
  • Dentoned
    Options
    I got through to LNER who advised me to reserve a seat the next or previous day which I have  done. It wasn't immediately obviously from their website how to do this and the advisor talked me through it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback