Whiplash compensation - Fair Amount?

Options
13»

Comments

• V_tricky
    Options
    Well it's always really difficult - in this country there seem to be two types of people - the people who will downplay everything because they dont' want to seem like they're causing a fuss - so therefore the medical expert (if they even claim) doesn't get a good picture - and they end up with less than what they are probably entitled to, and then there's the other sort who would claim for the ink in their biro, and maximise any minor niggle putting it down to the index accident (oh yeah your headache really was really down to the accident, not the fact that it was new years eve and you had 14 pints and 3 tequila slammers....)

This is why you should never feel bad about telling a medical expert how it has really affected you - they aren't mind readers after all, but hopefully without over dramatizing!
    :smiley: All posts made are my own opinions and constitute neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers :smiley:
  • gmc_3
    gmc_3 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    Thought i'd update this thread.

Girlfriend was offered £750 or go for a medical examination and wait for the report. She went for the medical and explained her discomfort etc. The doctor who examined her ended up in a dispute with the insurance company and withheld some reports (girlfriends included). Finally they were handed over and she received a call from the insurance company with an offer of £1850! Also recommended was that she went to some physio sessions (which will all be paid for) and the opportunity to review the amount after the physio is completed, although it could go down as well as up.

Thanks for all the advice on this thread!

G
  • V_tricky
    V_tricky Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    The way the OP sounded was like it was just a fortnight's injury, but if after all this time she's suffering sufficiently to warrant further treatment, then I'm glad she went to the medical expert!

:smiley:
    :smiley: All posts made are my own opinions and constitute neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers :smiley:
  • wardtp
    wardtp Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 23 January 2010 at 4:47PM
    Options
    i'm in the same position, need peoples thought on this. I was involved in an accident whereby the driver came through a red light as I was turning right and smashed into the drivers side. Car was a right off and I suffered whiplash and torn ligaments in my shoulder. I've been having physio for the whiplash. The drivers insurance company actually sent a rep to my house unannounced and offered me £2500 to settle. However I had already instructed a solicitor through my insurance and they have now offered me £1500 as they have to pay the solicitors fees. Does anyone know if this common practice and if I should push for the £2500 as it shouldnt come out of my pocket as thats what I have insurance for. Feel I am being penalised cos I have a solicitor.

Thanks all comments will be greatly appreciated!!!
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It sounds like the other Insurer is Quinn.

As you have instructed a solicitor I would suggest you seek your solicitors advice as they are after all the professionals. I would also suggest you try to avoid having any dealings with the other Insurer as it could complicate matters, refer them to your solicitors.

P.S If it is Quinn what they are doing is what they do with most of their third party claims, did they write the check out and show it to you by any chance?
  • Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Before you settle, I would make sure that you are 100% OK. I was a passenger in a car and we were hit from behind. I suffered whiplash and it went worse over the next couple of days, me losing feeling down the right hand side. I went to the hospital and was told I had nerve damage. I didn't seek compensation until I went to my doctors and was advised to see a solicitor. I was sent for physio at the local GP centre but they did nothing for me, so my solicitor got me a private physio who helped an awful lot. I suffered terribly for 3 years and could not sleep, lost confidence driving and had to have a second bout of physio. It has now been nearly 5 years since the accident and I still have odd days when I cannot sleep or my right hand side is aching badly. So please make sure that you are fully better before you settle or you will have to cover the cost yourself.
  • madeejitt
    Options
    jus been readin a few of the posts.. i was in a car accident on the 12 sept 2009. a taxi driver drove over two lanes of traffic on the wrong side of the road and into the side of my car.. and wait for it he then drove off ! :eek: i was luck enough that there was two policemen in a near by park who heard my wheels screeching 2 a halt came to see what happened. my boyfriend who was also in the car jumped out to try and stop the taxi but he jus drove away.. lucky enough again a young guy who was at the bus stop came foward with the reg of the taxi and gave his statement to the police.
    after being really shook up, we went to the hospital and we both attened pyshio, i was off work for nearly 3 months with shoulder back and neck pain.
    now over a year later and 2 seperate visits to independant doctors for each side we still havent got any offers is this normal?? :question:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure