Probate Service Affidavit Team

Hi all
Has anyone had recent experience with the Affidavit team at the Probate Service. 
Probate submitted 20 May, queries answered 17 August & no contact since then. Have managed to talk to the call centre to be told 'we're very busy' and can't give any timescales for action
The query revolved around a date on the will and the want to talk to the witnesses who I can't trace as the will is 34 years old
Im guessing I just have to wait for them unless anyone knows a way of expediting the process

Replies

• PennylanePennylane Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They Don’t hurry themselves I do know that!    We had to issue a Warning to a caveator and from the date our solicitor issued it to the date the application for probate was approved took 8 months with absolutely no communication from them during that time.  
  • JJWSJS8700JJWSJS8700 Forumite
    234 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Pennylane said:
    They Don’t hurry themselves I do know that!    We had to issue a Warning to a caveator and from the date our solicitor issued it to the date the application for probate was approved took 8 months with absolutely no communication from them during that time.  
    Did the Caveator make an appearance?
  • PennylanePennylane Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Pennylane said:
    Did the Caveator make an appearance?
    We were never told! Like I say, 8 months with no communication at all. Will PM you.
  • MayestonMayeston Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    We are going through this at the moment with my late aunt's will. Applied for probate May 16th, it was referred to Affidavit team as signature on will was 'shaky' (she had severe arthritis). Her solicitor passed away earlier this year, so we gave them the details of the witness (legal secretary at solicitors) and we are still waiting for them to send a witness questionnaire.My husband & I are the executors and in the meantime 2 of the beneficiaries have passed away. It is a nightmare! Any advice appreciated. 
  • MbdayMbday Forumite
    40 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mayeston said:
    We are going through this at the moment with my late aunt's will. Applied for probate May 16th, it was referred to Affidavit team as signature on will was 'shaky' (she had severe arthritis). Her solicitor passed away earlier this year, so we gave them the details of the witness (legal secretary at solicitors) and we are still waiting for them to send a witness questionnaire.My husband & I are the executors and in the meantime 2 of the beneficiaries have passed away. It is a nightmare! Any advice appreciated. 
    Suggest you ask your local MP to help.  I did same.  (He was a bit useless, as sent complaint to HMRC first!).  However, I think this is the only way you will get someone to take any notice.  Appalling service.  Seemed to be so much better 10 years ago when I did probate after my mother died.
  • TomlwilkoTomlwilko Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    Hi, I am currently going through the probate process for my late nana.

I submitted the initial application in July and asked for further information 8 weeks later, I submitted this and rang up yesterday to be told it was now with the affidavit team and there was no timeframe they could give me.

I sent my Nana’s will in without a ribbon holding it all together or the envelope it was kept it and this appears to have caused them to question it.

in the information requested they asked for me to contact the witnesses who were both working at the solicitors the will was drawn up. As this was 14 years ago neither are alive anymore.

no idea what this means for the probate process or how much longer it will take.

can anyone shed any light?
  • Sjo1Sjo1 Forumite
    8 Posts
    First Post
    Forumite
    Hi
    Original poster here 
    So on 8th December finally got an email saying probate complete & grant would be posted which still hasn't arrived 
    I wasn't able to provide any witness details which was an issue in August but not by December apparently
    Keep persevering with the call centre , they will eventually put you on a acceleration list which might help
    Good luck!

• TomlwilkoTomlwilko Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    Thanks Sjo1!

annoyingly when I first sent the additional detail I did so without a declaration within the email (that they request). I waited 6 weeks with no response, rang and they told me there was no declaration and it would be another 6 weeks. That’s now past and still nothing. That’s why I rang the call centre yesterday who are as much help as they can be, but don’t give out much detail or timeframe.