Remortgage affordability

Options
I am remortgaging, I would like increase my mortgage to consolidate debts and for some home improvements. Are the debts calculated in the affordability assessment or are they ignored as they will be paid off with the remortgage?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 15 October 2022 at 6:48AM
    Options
    Consolidating your debt into a new mortgage deal means you'll be spreading that money, you owe, over 20+ years ...... all that money paid in interest ..... do you really want to do that ?
    For home improvements i understand but to just kick the debt, you owe, further down the road is throwing your hard earned money away 😬 

To answer the question asked, it will depend on all the figures involved in the equation.
  • K_S
    K_S Posts: 6,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @charliechops It depends on the lender and the associated debt con criteria (which differs across lenders). This will include things like post remo LTV, size of debt, number of debts, credit history, how large the debt is in proportion to income, etc.

Generally speaking, with mainstream lenders, over the recent past background debt has had more of an impact on lending decisions and affordability than it used to.

I would recommend getting in touch with a broker to get a realistic idea if your options. The MSE guide here can help you find one.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/best-mortgages-cashback/#step3
    I am remortgaging, I would like increase my mortgage to consolidate debts and for some home improvements. Are the debts calculated in the affordability assessment or are they ignored as they will be paid off with the remortgage?

I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. 

PLEASE DO NOT SEND PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Most lenders will ignore the debt if it is being consolidated. But not all, there are at least 3 lenders I know of who wont ignore it, but at least 20 I know of who will. 

You either need to check it with the lender before applying or get your broker to check if you are using one. You could pick a lender at random and odds are you will be ok, but for the sake of a phone call its better to check. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • CharlieChops
    Options
    I am remortgaging with my current lender Kent Reliance
  • volcanopete
    Options
    I am remortgaging with my current lender Kent Reliance
    I am finishing off a remortgage on monday with my existing lender Britannia aka the co-op.I have gone for a 5year fix no fees at 4.62% to commence the 1st May when my old fixed rate comes to an end.The increase in interest rates from 1.9% to 4.62% works out it will take all of the 10.1% CPI figure in september 2022 increase in my state pension.We only have a piddly mortgage but many need to get ready for the hit.Britannia have been terrific and actually reward long-term loyalty.
    There's a load of the smelly stuff coming down the tracks!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback