Care Home Fees and Social Services

Options
2»

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Although the OP has no obligation of paying anything, in her shoes I would seriously consider contributing some top-up, her mother is after all still providing her accommodation rent free. 
    Not only does signing a top-up fee contract commit you to paying the current sum, it means you will have to pay all increases as well.  You'd have to have a fairly secure income and/or savings to commit to an open-ended long term scheme like that.

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Agree, I remember when we were in that position.
    It's something for the well-off and it's open ended.
    We didn't pay one. One of the reasons was having multiple parents.
  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, does your Mum claim Attendance Allowance?  If not, start a claim immediately as this will help towards fees.

Also, did your Mum work?  If she did, did she pay into a Union or similar?  Was she in the Armed Forces at any point?   

This may seem clutching at straws but there may be extra help out there, which your Mum is entitled to claim.
  • lisyloo
    edited 13 October 2022 at 3:00PM
    Options
    OP, does your Mum claim Attendance Allowance?  If not, start a claim immediately as this will help towards fees.

Also, did your Mum work?  If she did, did she pay into a Union or similar?  Was she in the Armed Forces at any point?   

This may seem clutching at straws but there may be extra help out there, which your Mum is entitled to claim.
    It won’t help at all if she is LA funded I’m afraid.
    it will be taken towards the fees and I don’t believe will get her anywhere better.

Any income she has (minus £25) will be taken to pay the fees.
    this includes SP, AA & FNC.
    it would only help if it was in excess of the fees which will be something like £450-£700 per week and possibly more depending on area, which sounds incredibly unlikely.
    if she is in an expensive home right now then that can be up to £1500 per week.

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Attendance  allowance is only for self funders in care homes.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • billy2shots
    billy2shots Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 October 2022 at 4:21PM
    Options
    lisyloo said:

it will be taken towards the fees and I don’t believe will get her anywhere better.

it would only help if it was in excess of the fees which will be something like £450-£700 per week and possibly more depending on area, which sounds incredibly unlikely.

I'm not up to speed with elderly care but if the parent is recieving a mobility payment in her benefits then this shouldn't be touched. 

Think it's a category,/element in PIP these days.  
  • lisyloo
    Options
    lisyloo said:

I'm not up to speed with elderly care but if the parent is recieving a mobility payment in her benefits then this shouldn't be touched. 

Paying for permanent residential care (ageuk.org.uk)

page 13

"If you pay the full cost of your fees (‘self-funding’), you can continue to be paid AA or care and daily living and mobility components of DLA or PIP"

My understanding of this is that if you pay your own care fees privately then you can keep your benefits.
    If the LA pays for all your personal care, then you don't get to keep any income (only around £25).
    The LA are already paying for pretty much everything - board, lodging and personal care.
  • billy2shots
    billy2shots Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 October 2022 at 5:03PM
    Options
    lisyloo said:
    lisyloo said:

Paying for permanent residential care (ageuk.org.uk)

page 13

"If you pay the full cost of your fees (‘self-funding’), you can continue to be paid AA or care and daily living and mobility components of DLA or PIP"

My understanding of this is that if you pay your own care fees privately then you can keep your benefits.
    If the LA pays for all your personal care, then you don't get to keep any income (only around £25).
    The LA are already paying for pretty much everything - board, lodging and personal care.

As I say, I'm not in the know re elderly but I run a (non elderly) care home. 

My service users keep their '£25' plus all of their mobility component. 

They are not self funding. 

https://www.independentage.org/get-advice/money/benefits/benefits-hospital-and-care-homes#:~:text=The mobility component of your,re in a nursing home.&text=CA will stop if the,and their disability benefits stop.

The mobility component of your PIP or DLA will continue if you're in a care home. But it stops if you're in a nursing home.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Ok (but looks like it may depend on whether it’s residential or nursing?).
    either way it’s a fait accompli.
    she can’t put in a new pip claim above SPA?

you cannot usually use your own money for a top up, so not sure either whether anything can be done about it or how it helps with the fees.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback