My fixed deal with Good Energy coming to an end

Options
My fixed deal for electricity with Good Energy is coming to an end at the end of this year. Because they are one of the three companies that are exempt from the Government Price Cap, their current SVT stands at 48 pence per unit, (which includes the Government’s 17p Energy Price Guarantee Discount), which is some 16p more than the Price Cap. Whilst I am strongly in favour of ‘Green’ energy I am not willing to pay this surcharge if I can help it. However, trying to find a company to switch to is not easy as companies trot out the mantra that you need to stick to your current provider and no alternatives are given in the various switching services. Are the energy companies under an obligation from Ofgem to allow switching?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2022 at 2:53PM
    Options
    Yes, and most will probably accept a switch if you call them.
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You have to make a phone call and chat with customer services to get a switch. Octopus and EDF seem to be most likely to accept new customers. All other companies will offer you the same prices for SVT, at the government's capped rates so choose by how good their service is..

If you're an E7 user, it will depend if you use more day or night units which provider will work out cheaper.

If you're an EV owner, some providers can off tariffs with cheaper overnight tariffs for charging.
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • loaferInBrum
    Options
    Hi, I switched to Octopus, from Good Energy, using their twitter account. It took a couple of days only.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback