What Small Things Will You Do This Week?? 10/10/22

Bagpuss741Bagpuss741 Forumite
2.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free. 

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.   
So be proud of those small steps, they really are important 😀
Tesco: £1049.60, Vanquis: £2181.01, Very: £521.92, Next: £1525.54, M&S: £2030.47. As of 2nd January 2023

Replies

• Bagpuss741Bagpuss741 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Sorry for the late post, as many of you on this thread will know I have family in Lviv, Ukraine so have spent the morning finding out if they are safe after the bombings over night.  They currently have no hot water and are on emergency electricity from Poland but are safe and in the shelters.

Today I have/will:

1.  Checked online banking
    2.  NSD
    3.  Meals from stores
    4.  Duolingo
    5.  Surveys/PMP/Consumer pulse
    6.  Taken coats that I no longer wear to the charity shop
    7.  Play around with a snowball calculator 
    Tesco: £1049.60, Vanquis: £2181.01, Very: £521.92, Next: £1525.54, M&S: £2030.47. As of 2nd January 2023
  • twiggy86twiggy86 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks for starting the post @Bagpuss741 - hope your family are ok. 

Today I have/will:
    • Check banks 
    • Do washing up (technically OH's "job" but when I do it I use substantially less hot water!!!)
    • Make lunch to take to work 
    • Load of washing on 30 degree eco wash
    • Drive on eco mode
    • Get petrol from cheapest garage around - use card which will get me cashback 
    • Make a couple of CC payments 
    • Update spreadsheet 
    • Shuffle money to right accounts
    • Text netball team re subs 
    • Gym at lunch - credit already paid for
    • Finish listening to audiobook through Borrowbo* - see if there's another one I want to download 
    • Hang washing on airer
    • Dinner from stores
    • Turn oven off at wall after use
    • Crochet in front of the TV
    Long list and feeling like a productive Monday (she says whilst posting on here when she should be working!!!). 
    Twigs 

Starting again..
  • dizzyblnddizzyblnd Forumite
    446 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Evening, 

I have completed my usual list: 

-b/l/d from stores 
    - charge phone at work 
    - got some sunlight during a lunchtime walk
    - quick flylady kitchen
    Mortgage free wannabee 2022 #82
  • edited 10 October 2022 at 6:43PM
    DawnWDawnW Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 10 October 2022 at 6:43PM
    Evening all :)
    Sending positive thoughts to your family in Kyiv @Bagpuss741. What a worry for you.
    Today I have / will:
    Dog walk first thing
    Used a pear for breakfast fruit - there were loads on the little tree this year! I still have (gifted) cooking apples to deal with, and OH picked the quinces in the garden yesterday. These are making the conservatory smell amazing.
    Kitchen clean up, then I did the main bathroom, including the annoying black / white tiled floor - annoying because the tiles show every little mark or speck of dust.
    Finished off yesterday's veggie curry, and leftover pieces of naan for lunch
    Went to bee and queue this afternoon and spent lots of money on fencing panels :# Only small, trellis style ones (height wise) because they go on top of a low wall, so it could have been worse. Couldn't get all that we needed in the car, so yet another expensive fencing trip will be needed.
    Helped OH replace some of the old panels when we got back. Quite an easy, drama free job thank goodness. I am redoing my raspberry bed, so it was sensible to replace the rotting fencing before rather than after to avoid trampling down the new planting.
    Rehomed some of the excess raspberry canes to people from local FB gardening group. One kindly left me some nasturtium seedlings in exchange. Strange time of year for these, but hopefully they will over winter in the greenhouse.
    Garden is like a disaster site, so will have to make a start on clearing up tomorrow! The remaining fencing  to be replaced is is at the end of the garden alongside a path, so there will be minimal mess there (hopefully). Anyway, I am looking forward to planning and laying out my new permaculture bed, with fewer raspberry canes alongside the rhubarb and loganberry already there, underplanted with all kinds of things. No garden centre trip needed, I already have plenty of plants (though I must confess to  rescuing a reduced to clear dwarf blackberry because I felt sorry for it, plus a curry plant because I was intrigued by the smell, while buying the fencing panels).
    Made a frittata for dinner as we seemed to have lots of eggs. Had salad with it, including our own tomatoes, home made coleslaw and pickles.
    1.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Morning all!

Today I have/will:
    • Check banks 
    • Do washing up (technically OH's "job" but when I do it I use substantially less hot water!!!)
    • Make lunch to take to work 
    • Snap a receipt OH left laying around! 
    • Drive on eco mode
    • Update spreadsheet 
    • Listen to audiobook through Borrowbo* 
    • Dinner from stores
    • Crochet in front of the TV
    Hope you all have a good day! 
    Twigs 
    Starting again..
    2.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Today I have/will:

2.  NSD
    3.  Meals from stores
    4.  Duolingo
    5.  Surveys

@DawnW. Your garden sounds idyllic with all the fruit trees
  • BlueJ94BlueJ94 Forumite, Ambassador
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Evening all,

Today I have 

sold & wrapped up some pet costumes ready to be sent tomorrow
    made work lunch (jacket spud)

Tomorrow I will
    Post the parcels 
    Cash in my Cheque from Vanquis and also take my penny jar to the coin machine
     I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe boards and spending & discounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Challenges;
    £2 savers club for 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum #16
    Saving for Christmas 2023 - £1 a day — MoneySavingExpert Forum - #60 £ / £365
    Tilly Tidy 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Make an EXTRA £10 a Day in January 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum - #17 £0/155
    The 365 Day 1p Challenge 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum #68

118 Money £295 Total debt £6193.30 at the very start of DFW Journey.
  • DawnWDawnW Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Forumite
    @Bagpuss741 my garden is tiny really, just a small garden behind a terraced house. The fruit trees are grafted onto dwarfing stock and are not a great deal taller than I am. I am creating a mini forest garden, with just a small adjoining patch, plus some patio containers, for annual crops.
    Today I have / will:
    Dog walk first thing
    Washed my hair and left it to dry naturally
    Load of washing, dried out on the line
    Had to collect a parcel from the post office - turned out to be a postal survey item
    Went to look at my sales unit while I was in town - ended up staying for an hour and a half as one of the people due to work hadn't turned up. Stayed and helped the owner, as the shop was busy, until he eventually turned up.
    Called in to the charity shop as I was passing, and bought a couple of nice scented candles for £1 each.
    Lunch was the rather gloopy celery soup I had in the fridge. OH really liked it though, and I will eat almost anything, so all ok
    Gardening this afternoon, started off by tidying up after yesterday's efforts, then tied in the new loganberry canes, which will fruit next year. Ended up cutting more vegetation down, and now I have another pile of stuff to try to cram into the compost bins. OH finished putting up the new fencing, and cut up the old stuff for firewood.
    Dinner was the rest of yesterday's frittata, with the few remaining frozen chips and peas.
    Now I need to sort out the washing up!

1.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Hi all!

Today I have/will:
    • Check banks 
    • Drive on eco mode
    • Update spreadsheet 
    • Listen to audiobook through Borrowbo* 
    • Pop to shop for a few bits 
    • Snap receipt 
    • Dinner from stores
    • Park for free at netball 
    Hope you all have a good day! 
    Twigs 
    Starting again..
    2.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Today I have/will:

2.  Meal plan and shopping list ready for Iceland Warehouse shop tomorrow
    3.  Cleaned bathroom
    4.  Bought tickets for Christmas concert for me and my mother - not DFW but had saved all year for it.
    5.  Duolingo
    6.  Surveys/PMP/Consumer pulse
    7.  Meals from stores