Seasonality of kWh used for hot water heating

Options
During the months when my radiator heating tends to be zero, my hot water and cooking usage are as follows in kWh: May 635, June 473, July 359, August 381 and September 639.

I presume that in the colder months, the hot water will take more kWh to heat. Is there a rule of thumb that I can use to estimate my hot water usage during the months when I also use central heating? 
I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".

Comments

• sandy700
    sandy700 Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use, on average, 11 kWh a day for hot water and cooking and have not noticed any noticeable difference in consumption between the colder months and the warmer months but then I can't separate hot water only from heating radiators.

Heating and hot water is from a combi.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,126 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My monthly usage of gas is around £4.20 with £8.33 SC. My combi boiler doesn't seem to have a function for stopping the preheating of water it's a Valiant ecotech pro 28.
    If you can turn off a function to preheat water do it and lower temperatures to 50 degrees for water and 55 degrees for heating.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    remember that over the winter months the water that you are heating is colder, so that's another consideration.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    During the months when my radiator heating tends to be zero, my hot water and cooking usage are as follows in kWh: May 635, June 473, July 359, August 381 and September 639.

I presume that in the colder months, the hot water will take more kWh to heat. Is there a rule of thumb that I can use to estimate my hot water usage during the months when I also use central heating? 
    I have been doing some analysis of electric,  the most significant reductions in use are going on holiday.

if your heating was definitely off for those 5 months can you identify why the 2 higher months are over 75% higher than July.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you cook less in the summer, or maybe go out more? Less cooking means less hot water for washing up. 

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • k_man
    k_man Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 October 2022 at 2:19PM
    Options
    Hi,
    remember that over the winter months the water that you are heating is colder, so that's another consideration.
    Mains water temperature only varies by a few degrees during the year (there was a similar thread last winter),  so this will only make a few % difference.
    (Corrected)

There will be more pipe heat loss between boiler and taps/tank if the ambient temperature is colder, but it may even be warmer if the heating is on.

There also may actually be a reduction in hot water energy use, if the water is heated while the boiler is already heating for CH, so already up to temp.

I think the biggest factor is change in hot water use in the winter (longer hotter showers, more baths etc).
  • BUFF
    BUFF Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    k_man said:
    Hi,
    Mains water temperature only varies by a few degrees during the year (there was a similar thread last winter),  so this will only make a few % difference.
    Depending upon where you live it can be up to 15C variation in the mains.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options

I don't know a rule of thumb, exactly, but if:
    • You heat your water to 60C;
    • In the summer months the incoming water is at 15C;
    • In the winter months the incoming water is at 5C; and
    • All other factors remain unchanged, then
    Your winter energy use to heat water will be (60-5)/(60-15) ie. 55/45ths or 11/9ths of your summer energy use. That's about 22% more.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • k_man
    k_man Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    BUFF said:
    k_man said:
    Hi,
    Depending upon where you live it can be up to 15C variation in the mains.
    Thanks, I must have misremembered. Maybe it was daily/weather related variations that were over estimated.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,408 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    QrizB said:

I don't know a rule of thumb, exactly, but if:
    • You heat your water to 60C;
    • In the summer months the incoming water is at 15C;
    • In the winter months the incoming water is at 5C; and
    • All other factors remain unchanged, then
    Your winter energy use to heat water will be (60-5)/(60-15) ie. 55/45ths or 11/9ths of your summer energy use. That's about 22% more.
    Thank you. This is very helpful. 

But I have realised an error in my calculations. I have forgotten to add in the 444 kWh annual solar diversion, which may explain some of the lower summer readings.

Nonetheless, I think that your logic is correct and that I need to add more kWh to the winter forecast for hot water heating.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback