First Direct £175 switching bonus- how to hit £1000 qualifying amount?

Hello all. 

I’m in the process of switching my current account to First Direct in order to get the £175 switching bonus they’re offering. 

Now, you need to pay in £1,000 within 3 months of switching in order to qualify for the bonus. 

What I would like to ask is: do you need to pay in £1,000 in one go or is it just a total that can be reached by any combination of amounts?

Could I transfer £100 in and out 10 times, for instance? Or £300+£700? You see what I mean. 

Many thanks for any help. They don’t make this clear. 

Comments

• kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hello all. 

I’m in the process of switching my current account to First Direct in order to get the £175 switching bonus they’re offering. 

Now, you need to pay in £1,000 within 3 months of switching in order to qualify for the bonus. 

What I would like to ask is: do you need to pay in £1,000 in one go or is it just a total that can be reached by any combination of amounts?

Could I transfer £100 in and out 10 times, for instance? Or £300+£700? You see what I mean. 

All that matters is that the total amount paid in equals £1000, there is no limit on the number of transactions it takes to reach that amount so, what you suggested above, recycling £100 ten times, will be okay.
  • kaMelo said:
    Hello all. 

All that matters is that the total amount paid in equals £1000, there is no limit on the number of transactions it takes to reach that amount so, what you suggested above, recycling £100 ten times, will be okay.
    That’s great. Thanks so much fir taking the time to reply. 
  • Like a few on here I believe, we do the banking shuffle.
    Take out new account offers, transfer say £500 into first direct on the 1st of the month, then to Halifax from FD on the 5th, then to TSB etc and back again.
    All set up on standing orders.
    Around and around it goes, but you only need say £300. Just move it around.
  • Thanks. But I can just manually transfer stuff back and forth to hit the number, no? I don't need to do standing orders, I didn't think.

Do I need to make the transfers in and out on different days (as you describe) for it to count or can I just transfer it out and transfer it back in straight away? How do they count it?

Thanks again.
    Like a few on here I believe, we do the banking shuffle.
    Take out new account offers, transfer say £500 into first direct on the 1st of the month, then to Halifax from FD on the 5th, then to TSB etc and back again.
    All set up on standing orders.
    Around and around it goes, but you only need say £300. Just move it around.
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    You can do it all manually, and no you don't need to do it on different days, you can transfer in and then straight back out again (or out and back in).
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Don't understand why people set up different days for these things. 

I used have all set up on the same day.
  • Rockula
    Rockula Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know whether a £1000 balance transferred over from the closing account as part of the switch fulfils the “£1000 deposit within three months” criteria? Or is a separate £1000 deposit needed, either in one go or made up of smaller payments? Thanks!
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 October 2022 at 10:00AM
    Rockula said:
    Does anyone know whether a £1000 balance transferred over from the closing account as part of the switch fulfils the “£1000 deposit within three months” criteria? Or is a separate £1000 deposit needed, either in one go or made up of smaller payments? Thanks!
    I suspect you won't get a definitive answer. But why not just transfer out that £1000 and then put it straight back in?  
  • Rockula
    Rockula Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Zanderman said:
    Rockula said:
    I suspect you won't get a definitive answer. But why not just transfer out that £1000 and then put it straight back in?  
    Thanks, may do that just to be sure. Helping a relative with this, so hoping to avoid the extra hassle of setting up new payees wherever possible, or at least keep them to an bare minimum! 
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't understand why people set up different days for these things. 

I used have all set up on the same day.
    because one of the days you select might be a weekend or a BH and some banks don't do payments on those days whilst others do! so you might end up with an overdraft!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback