🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Smart meter install (gas)

Options
EDF are currently mithering me to get a smart meter installed for the gas meter (it is near EOL, so not fussed about getting it), however how does it work when I don’t have a smart meter for the electric? (British Gas saying they aren’t ready to install one on the property yet).   Will EDF fit one for the electric that BG can then use anyway? As I am assuming that the gas will be battery powered as it’s about 20ft from the electric meter cupboard 

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have exactly the same issue - BG told me to phone again in November re a smart elec. meter but EDF keep pressing me to install a smart gas meter EVEN THO' the agent on the phone finally admitted it won't be smart without the hub supplied with the leccy meter.
    She said "well, you can take manual readings" to which I replied "what's the point then?" They only care about installs not whether they work or not !!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 October 2022 at 12:39PM
    Options
    I have exactly the same issue - BG told me to phone again in November re a smart elec. meter but EDF keep pressing me to install a smart gas meter EVEN THO' the agent on the phone finally admitted it won't be smart without the hub supplied with the leccy meter.
    She said "well, you can take manual readings" to which I replied "what's the point then?" They only care about installs not whether they work or not !!
    I don’t believe that it works like that. There is a process called ‘commissioning’ which sets up the gas smart meter. If my two SMETS2 gas meter installs are anything to go by this requires a working comms hub.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure