Consolodating SIPPS or not

segovia
segovia Posts: 325 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
I have two SIPPS, AJ Bell and Interactive Investor. 

I am paying £10.00 custody charge to AJ Bell and a flat fee of £19.99 a month to II, I can't remember how I ended up with two SIPPS or the rationale behind it; however, common sense now telling me I should consolidate to reduce fees. Before I do, are there any benefits in having two SIPPS, specifically as I may go into drawdown within the next 2 - 3 years. 

J  

Comments

• MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is either of them under £10k and therefore small pots? 
  • segovia
    No, they are higher than 10K
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The flat fee at II makes it expensive for amounts say approx under £100K. Above that it will probably be more competitive than a provider that charges a % of the amount held with them , like AJ Bell.
    Admin wise probably easier just to have one pension you drawdown from.
  • segovia
    I am sure A J Bell is also a flat fee now, I thought they originally worked on a % custodian charge, but it seems to be static at £10.00 PM 
  • segovia

£219.50 based on value and trades, when I looked at my charges on my account they seem to be static, £10.00PM

• segovia
    I contacted AJ Bell and if I consolidated my fees would be as below, so there is a small saving in merging. However, back to my original question, fees aside, is there any benefit of having two SIPPS? 

The charges would be as follows:

For your SIPP account, – £120 per year.

For your ISA account—£42 per year.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There might be if you want to hold different funds in the crystallised and uncrystallised buckets and your provider doesn't support that?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    segovia said:
    I contacted AJ Bell and if I consolidated my fees would be as below, so there is a small saving in merging. However, back to my original question, fees aside, is there any benefit of having two SIPPS? 

The charges would be as follows:

For your SIPP account, – £120 per year.

For your ISA account—£42 per year.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

I think the 'charging mystery' is solved. AJ Bell do charge 0.25% , but have a £120 max charge in their SIPP, if you only hold shares/ETF's/Investment Trusts, as opposed to OEIC funds. Does that make sense?

Disadvantages of having two SIPP's are. Extra admin, remembering log on passwords, potentially increased fees, can be more complicated to analyse your whole portfolio. Having to navigate two different systems, easier to get familiar with one. In drawdown, potential issues with HMRC tax codes, if you withdraw from both at the same time.

Advantages - Still have access to one, if the other has a major IT meltdown. Ability to compare how good each platform is. For people with larger pots some peace of mind that not all eggs in one basket. You could drawdown from one and not the other( maybe keep it as a potential inheritance)  which might suit managing the investments to your objectives easier.

No doubt more pluses and minuses.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure