Fixing a cracked bathroom extractor fan "isolator" switch cover?

Options
General_query
General_query Posts: 422 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi,

Very embarrassing this...

Last night there was HUGE spider on the bathroom extractor fan "isolator" switch, so got my trainer and gently and stupidly tapped at it.

The spider ran away and I now have a cracked switch cover, see photo's. I've temporarily put sellotape over it.

I have Googled this and think I have found an exact replacement, see manufacturers website:

https://www.electrium.co.uk/products/product?ProductId=3599

https://docs.electrium.co.uk/Datasheets/DataSheet_VX1013.pdf

And available for only £4.52 here:

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/35286-3-pole-isolating-switch-complete-with-fan-symbol

Problem is, I'm in rented property and when I went to report this via my housing associations online reporting tool, there is a warning saying "any repairs carried out that are NOT due to wear & tear will incur a charge. Please tick this box to say you agree to pay for any repair charge" before proceeding. I didn't go ahead and report it - just yet.

I know what the answer will be, but how hard would it be to replace this cracked cover?

I'm not in any way disrepecting electricians, just merely asking for advice please. And no, I'm not competent with major DIY and electricity.

Final photo (below) shows it's directly above the shower power switch box and light switches for bathroom (left) and toilet (right). Probably not needed information but the more info. I can share the better, I hope.

Thank you.

N.B. I am aware this is not wear & tear, so I should pay for the repair.

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The whole switch will need replacing. That will require power to be turned off, wires disconnected/reconnected, and then tested before the power is turned back on. You can either pay the HA's charges or call an electrician (or handyman) in.
    In future, leave the poor spider alone. He/she was just looking for somewhere warm for Christmas.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    The whole switch will need replacing. That will require power to be turned off, wires disconnected/reconnected, and then tested before the power is turned back on. You can either pay the HA's charges or call an electrician (or handyman) in.
    In future, leave the poor spider alone. He/she was just looking for somewhere warm for Christmas.
    Or get the hoover..
  • FreeBear
    Options
    We had to bring in the spider catcher  rCatswithjobs..........

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I bought my daughter one of these.
    Spider Catcher : Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
  • casper_gutman
    Options
    Many competent DIY-ers would find a like-for-like swap like that to be a straightforward job well within their capabilities. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to attempt it. Make sure the power is off at the consumer unit main switch, and confirm where all the wires go before swapping them to the new switch one by one. Take photos and/or label them with bits of tape to be 100% confident you get them in the right place.

If you can wire a plug, you can do this. If not, either ask a competent friend to do it, pay an electrician yourself, or go through the housing association. The last of these is likely to be the most expensive way to go, but still shouldn't be a particularly expensive repair in the grand scheme of things..
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Looks like it was previously held together with tape?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    Options
    It depends on how confident you are around electrics.  I would happily change it myself if I were in your position.  It makes things a lot easier if you can source the identical switch.
    1. Turn off the power.
    2. Undo the cover screws and pull the broken switch off the wall.
    3. Make a note of what wires goes where.  Take photographs.  If all the wires look the same, mark them with sticky tape, or a marker pen or whatever.  Don't skimp on this stage.
    4. Undo the terminal screws and release the wires.
    5. Check that the terminal screws on the new switch are also loosened.
    6. Shove the right wires into the right terminals, one at a time, doing the screws up moderately tight.
    7. Check that all the screws are done up properly, but not so tight that you crush the wire or strip the threads on the screws.  Give each wire an experimental tug.  If it comes loose, either you didn't tighten the screw properly, or it wasn't in the terminal far enough.
    8. Double check that every wire is in the right terminal.
    9. Screw the switch back on the wall.
    10. Turn the power back on.
    11. Check the fan works.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • FreeBear
    Options
    Lorian said: Looks like it was previously held together with tape?
    The tape is a new addition - The OP had whacked it with a shoe.

• stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,993 Forumite
    Options
    If he had hit it with the cat instead it wouldn't have broken.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got rid of a spider the other day that was so big it wouldn’t have fit on that switch. Plus another one last night I stepped on in the dark….

Anyway that’s an easy enough DIY job. Just make a note of where the wires go and put them in the same place. Obviously make sure the circuit is dead.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback