Opt out of Data Brokers - Incogni

in Techie Stuff
4 replies 81 views
BraddenBradden Forumite
871 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
I was watching  scambusters on youtube and saw and advert for a service called incogni. 

I'd love to know what you folks think of this..... seems to be overpriced to me but whether theres any actual merit to it.

https://incogni.com/

Thousands of companies are collecting, aggregating and trading your personal data without you knowing anything about it. We make them remove it.

Thanks

Replies

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    https://uk.pcmag.com/security/138522/surfshark-incogni - Cons:  Can’t confirm that brokers removed your data

Which I think is the key problem here.  These sort of services don't do anything you can't do yourself.  Whether its worth paying a lot of money just to automate it is up for debate.

• BraddenBradden Forumite
    871 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks.... interesting article. I'd heard of data brokers but not thought about asking them to delete data.
    The costs do seem excessive for something I guess is mainly an automated system.

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    GDPR regulations will apply to this sort of thing:

But of course the internet is global so the above only really applies to Europe and the UK (Brexit not withstanding).  For other companies outside this it will depend on their laws.

The problem is with the internet everything you do on it is harvesting data.  Every Google search, every website you go to, then you have what the so-called Cookie Law was designed to help with (annoying the the crap out everybody with ever massive "consent" messages was a by product of that)...  So its sort of hard to opt out entirely unless you sort of like don't go on the internet at all.
  • edited 1 October 2022 at 7:18PM
    forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    32.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 1 October 2022 at 7:18PM
    If you don't know companies are trading your data how will they know whats legit and what is not?

The ones you really want to rmeove your data probably will not so a rather pointless service.

Install the NoScript addon for your browser and see what websites are doing in the background. Wonder why
    this forum is using Skimlinks?

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...