Eon "Change of Supply" on 25th December 2021 - Big Jump in Meter readings

Options
debsa
debsa Posts: 22 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi, I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced the same as me on their gas and electricity bills? Last year Eon next showed a "Change of Supply" on both my gas and electricity and both meters dramatically changed on Christmas Day 2021- they showed me using 273 units of electricity in one month  (compared to actual usage of approximately 80 units per month) and 176 units of gas in one month (compared to actual usage of approx 60 units per month).  When I spoke to them, following an increase in DD to £153 pm from £28pm, they said that I must have used the extra energy (I know I haven't!) and this seems to be a big coincidence. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Did your meter readings actually change on Christmas day 2021? Or was it just that they caught up with estimates?
    What exactly does it show on your bill?
    And why has it taken nine months for you to notice, have you not been billed before now?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • debsa
    Options
    Yes the meter readings changed on Christmas Day, both on the Gas Meter and Electric meter; up to that date I had been giving readings monthly and photographing the meters. Unfortunately, I was unwell over christmas for a couple of months and didn't see the change of figures on my meters or online bill. I spoke to EON about the change in DD in February and they said that is was usage over the previous summer; when I questioned the increased DD and suggested there might be a problem with the actual meters, I was told I would have to pay over £100 for them to come and check, which would only be refunded if they found a problem. 
    I really wanted to find out if anyone else had "a change of supplier" on their EON bill on christmas day last year and if their readings randomly increased.

• QrizB
    Options
    So you've got photos of your meters from a little before Christmas that match the figures on your bill, and photos from a little after Christmas that also match?
    What sort of meters have you got - smart meters, non-smart electronic meters, or older mechanical ones?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • debsa
    edited 9 October 2022 at 2:20PM
    Options
    Yes  have photos of the meters. The electric one is non-smart electronic meter on a board with four other flats having the same type of meters. The Gas Meter is a traditional meter (have no idea is its a mechanical one)
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 9 October 2022 at 3:37PM
    Options
    Could you share the photos please

I can't see the meters themselves physically changing.

But did you give the supplier actual meter reads on that day ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • debsa
    Options
    I attach copies of the electric and gas statement of the manual readings I gave - I will find pics of the meters shortly the manual readings are the actual readings that I took
  • I have a funny feeling this might be due to when they changed you from E.ON to E.ON Next on the national databases, as this means you will have a new COS (change of supplier) reading that the DC (Data Collector) needs to do.

• QrizB
    Options
    It looks to me as though "change of supply" was another estimate. Your billing should have been updated (corrected) to reflect the manual readings you gave thereafter.
    You won't have been charged anything extra on account of these estimated readings.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback