PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kitchen sink slow to empty

Options
littlemoney
littlemoney Posts: 788 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 30 September 2022 at 8:32PM in Old style MoneySaving
My kitchen sink is slower to empty.  I thought I had read in a book that washing soda can be used but I can't find the book now. I have a packet of washing soda but no idea how to use it for this. Can anyone help please.

Any other suggestions to clear also appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,345 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    a google shows this:

Unclog Bathroom and Kitchen Sinks

Because washing soda is highly caustic, you can even use it to clear out a clogged sink drain. Put in the washing soda first and then add three cups of boiling water.

1. First pour one cup of washing soda down the sink drain.
    2. Pour three cups of boiling water after it.
    3. Allow the washing soda to work for 30 to 35 minutes.
    4. Flush with warm water and repeat if necessary.
    What Is Washing Soda? Guide to Household Use | LoveToKnow
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • AlwaysAllie
    AlwaysAllie Posts: 564 Forumite
    First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 30 September 2022 at 9:15PM
    Options
    If this fails you may need to remove the trap under the sink. I had to do this recently, a bit gross but had to poke up the pipe and remove a gungy blockage. 
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 September 2022 at 9:41PM
    Options
    Have you opened the trap under the sink and cleaned it ??
    If it is not working try something like this unblocker liquid/gel. It is just about £3 in the supermarket.
    Also Watch this video to see how it works
    it could just take less than an hour to unblock it. But sometimes (read instruction) it is good to leave it overnight to have an maximum effect. The following morning pour the hot water into the sink, you will see how they unblock your sink.
  • Sky_
    Sky_ Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I just pour soda crystals onto the plughole until there's a little pile on top of the plughole, then I pour a freshly boiled kettleful of water over them down the plug hole. It works every time because the hot soda dissolves any grease that's blocking the pipes.
    2022. 2% MF challenge. £730/3000
  • London_1
    London_1 Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I use a couple of heaped tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda and pour ordinary white vinegar over it and let it fizz for a few minutes then a kettle of boiling water. That usually gets the plughole and drainage pipes clear of any grease that may have accumulated

JackieO xx
  • goldfinches
    Options
    Sky_ said:
    I just pour soda crystals onto the plughole until there's a little pile on top of the plughole, then I pour a freshly boiled kettleful of water over them down the plug hole. It works every time because the hot soda dissolves any grease that's blocking the pipes.
    This is exactly what I do too and I find it very effective, I generally run the hot tap to flush the pipes through afterwards as well but I don't think that's absolutely necessary if you haven't got a long or awkward pipe run.

Things you didn't know about having long hair

Always put it up before sitting down on the loo!
  • Mr.Generous
    Options
    £3.49 @ Toolstation or screwfix

• Caroby
    Caroby Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I use soda crystals and boiling water too, works a treat. I regularly bung some down both the kitchen and bathroom sinks and the shower drain hole thingy to keep them clear.

• littlemoney
    Options
    London_1 said:
    I use a couple of heaped tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda and pour ordinary white vinegar over it and let it fizz for a few minutes then a kettle of boiling water. That usually gets the plughole and drainage pipes clear of any grease that may have accumulated

JackieO xx
    Where do you get your bicarbonate of soda from?  I can only get it in a small amount from the baking section in the supermarket.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Look in the cleaning section or in Wilko.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family