Can a loan company ask for personal medical records?

Hello.

I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, and one of the symptoms of my undiagnosed and unmedicated ADHD, was that I made some pretty stupid impulsive decisions when it came to money.  More recently I had a bereavement and was also diagnosed with some health issues, so I have less money than usual as I'm on shorter shifts at work while I deal with everything.

Unfortunately before the ADHD diagnosis I took out three dodgy high APR pay day loans - just as my credit was improving - and I've taken on too much to pay back at the original agreed amount.

Two of the companies have been absolutely amazing and when I explained my situation they trusted me, and they set up payment plans which I can afford.  The third one however has sent a really snarky email back, asking for medical evidence, and asking why I have only offered to pay £50 per month when they can see I have £133 free on the income and expenditure budget I sent them.  The leftover cash on my income and expenditures is for emergencies, as I have no savings, and I don't feel like I should have to justify that to them.  I also don't think it's right that they have asked for personal medical records as proof of my ADHD etc.

I am not comfortable sending my private diagnosis report to a complete stranger, who hasn't explained why they need it or what they'd do with it, and I wondered if there was anything I could do to avoid having to provide it?  I get the feeling it's not illegal to have asked me for it, but it's morally very wrong as far as I'm concerned.

So far I have asked for their complaints procedure, but is there anything else that I can do?  I have very little bandwith for additional stress, and I really just need them to accept my offer which is the same amount offered to the other companies.

The good news is that I'll be back at work full time eventually, with a pay rise in January, so I know I can pull myself out of this but right now I really needed them to be helpful.

Any advice on how I can approach this would be very much appreciated.

Replies