Quite a horrible dent on my Mercedes DONT know how to move forward

Hello guys I woke up this morning to my Mercedes A class door dented in on the left hand side.. it has dented quite bad and has scratched it? Will it be a right off?? 

Do I need to claim on my insurance to get it fixed?

Photos attached 

Comments

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is the dent just in the door?  Or is the sill damaged?

How old is the car?  Mileage?

Even if the car is classed as a writeoff, it might be worth buying it back from the insurance company and doing a cheap job (enough to stop it rusting).
  • marlot said:

Even if the car is classed as a writeoff, it might be worth buying it back from the insurance company and doing a cheap job (enough to stop it rusting).
    Dent in door it’s got a little ding in the sill also… 

2018 , 33500 miles 

• Would the car be a right off because of the little damage 
  • You can take it to a body shop, probably around 1k to sort as it is over 3 panels. They can work wonders and it will be good as new.  Can go through your insurance if you want.  Unlikely to be a write off at that age and mileage. 
  • You can take it to a body shop, probably around 1k to sort as it is over 3 panels. They can work wonders and it will be good as new.  Can go through your insurance if you want.  Unlikely to be a write off at that age and mileage. 
    So it wont be a write off then. 

It’s not that bad once up close as it’s just the scratches that make it look bad… and a little ding in the seal 
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    How to move forward: 1) depress clutch 2) engage 1st gear 3) release clutch slowly whilst depressing accelerator ;)

A little ding shouldn't make the car a write off. The car isnt that old, worth getting it fixed for many more years of motoring.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I did similar damage to mine through some careless reversing - creased and scratched the door, slight damage to sill and rear valance. Local body shop charged me £600 and it's as good as new. I chose to pay for it myself and made that clear to them. He said if it had been going through insurance he would have fitted a new door and it would have been over a grand.  Worth doing the maths with your excess payment etc to see which is the best way to go. But not a write-off, for sure.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ElefantEd said:
    How to move forward: 1) depress clutch 2) engage 1st gear 3) release clutch slowly whilst depressing accelerator ;)

4) Stall. The handbrake is still on.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    marlot said:

Dent in door it’s got a little ding in the sill also… 

2018 , 33500 miles 

Cars are only written off when the cost of the damage is more than the value of the car.

We're talking a dent and some scratches. I'm assuming your car is worth more than £1000 ish???

Just contact your insurance and get them to sort it. I take it whoever did this didn't leave a name or address??
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    pinkshoes said:
    Cars are only written off when the cost of the damage is more than the value of the car.

We're talking a dent and some scratches. I'm assuming your car is worth more than £1000 ish???

Just contact your insurance and get them to sort it. I take it whoever did this didn't leave a name or address??

Just remember that even if you decide to pay for it yourself you are still required to infoem your insurance company and fro tales on here that can create problems.

So as pinkshoes said Just contact your insurance and get them to sort it. A lot less hassle.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback