Candles v lightbulbs

Options
I was reading an article a day or two ago about a pub in Cornwall using candles instead of putting the lights on due to high energy costs. The article says they stocked up on Ikea candles.
So I was pondering on whether this was a sensible solution or a gimic - would it be cheaper to use candles? presumably, they'd need quite a lot of candles to light a whole pub (ex kitchen and loos due to H&S)? 
So if a £1 candle last 20 hours - how much energy would the lightbulb use for the same period? I know we can't know how much per kWh the pub is paying but...just wondering

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A 5W LED bulb (to make the numbers easy) would be much brighter than a candle and use 5 x 20 = 100Wh in 20 hours or .1 of a kWh.  The pub may be on a really nasty commercial electricity contract - but I doubt it will be paying £10 a kWh which is what would be needed to break even!
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • TheGardener
    Options
    I suppose you could factor in the heat as well then? More bodies in the pub (attracted by the 'romance' of the candles) + the heat from all those candles + the light - I suppose it's not about the cost of the energy - but the photos in the article make it look rather nice and might tempt a few folk in on a Monday night.  Most of the pubs around here are closed on Mondays.
  • Leon_W
    Leon_W Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Seriously.  If you left a 6w LED bulb (500 lumens) on for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year it would cost you about £14 at todays rates !

Stupid pub landlord !
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 September 2022 at 9:39PM
    Options
    Leon_W said:
    Seriously.  If you left a 6w LED bulb (500 lumens) on for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year it would cost you about £14 at todays rates !

Stupid pub landlord !
    Not so stupid if it gets your name and some lovely photos of your business into a national newspaper  ;)
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Ectophile said:
    All those candles will also ruin the air quality in the pub.  Paraffin wax gives off some pretty nasty fumes.
    Unless they're soy or other natural wax - which would make them much more expensive and an even worse deal.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Looking at the cost, a pack of bog-standard IKEA candles is £5.50 for twenty making them around 28p each so at today's inflated leccy costs that's equivalent to half a kilowatt. 

A 5watt LED lamp will burn for 100 hours whereas I guess that best a candle will manage is around 10-15 hours and will give out significantly less light, so you'll need more of them. Posh candles might burn longer but they cost more
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I was reading an article a day or two ago about a pub in Cornwall using candles instead of putting the lights on due to high energy costs. The article says they stocked up on Ikea candles.
    So I was pondering on whether this was a sensible solution or a gimic - would it be cheaper to use candles? presumably, they'd need quite a lot of candles to light a whole pub (ex kitchen and loos due to H&S)? 
    So if a £1 candle last 20 hours - how much energy would the lightbulb use for the same period? I know we can't know how much per kWh the pub is paying but...just wondering
    This was mentioned elsethread. I think the candles will cost more but if the publicity gets more bums-on-seats in the pub, it should easily pay for itself.
    Ectophile said:
    All those candles will also ruin the air quality in the pub.  Paraffin wax gives off some pretty nasty fumes.
    I remember the time before the indoor smoking ban. A few candles isn't going to get close to that!
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback