We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Tax in new role after Redunancy
bmb14
Posts: 2
Newbie
Hi, I took redundancy from my job in March where I was earning £70k+. I received the pay out in April of just over £50k. I then received a second payment in May of around £1k although I am not sure what this was for. I did not work or have income for 5 months. I started a new role this month and I will receive my first pay tomorrow. I want to understand which tax rate I should expect from my new role since I have already 'earned' over £50k this year. Should it be the higher tax rate of 40% on all my new earning for this tax year. Or as the first £30k was tax free in my redundancy pay out will I not pay the higher tax rate? Thanks
0
Comments
-
Did you receive a P45 for the redundancy payment that was paid in the 22-23 tax year ? You should only be taxed on the £21K YTD, 40% tax starts at £25139 YTD for September so if your taxable pay for the month is over £4139 then you could be paying some 40% tax. Were you receiving any taxable benefits whilst unemployed ?
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
0 -
Did you receive £30 k redundancy tax free?0
-
Thanks, I did receive £30k tax free. My new role is only £46k per year so less then my previous job. I have not received a P45 for 22-23 tax year. I think I from your reply molerat that I have been taxed correctly which is great. And also means I won't be as taxed as I thought.0
-
If you haven't received a P45, why not?bmb14 said:Thanks, I did receive £30k tax free. My new role is only £46k per year so less then my previous job. I have not received a P45 for 22-23 tax year. I think I from your reply molerat that I have been taxed correctly which is great. And also means I won't be as taxed as I thought.
In relation to earnings in the current 22-23 tax year, what did you tick on the new starter form given to you by your new employer?0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
